Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Theron >> the child actress from beginning of Furiosa >> ATJ imo

but that might just be that ATJ’s performance doesn’t look anything like Theron’s, which might be warranted given that the character is not supposed to be at the same stage…and ATJ has the “silent movie actress” eyes which on paper should be perfect for this movie.

Feel like I should rewatch just to be sure (it’s only been 48 hours since I saw it, but the urge to go back is very strong…)

Just watched Fury Road for the second time since theatres. It’s pretty great for an action film. Not much depth but that’s not really the point.

Seeing Furiosa on real imax today.

2 Likes

I think that’s right. Thinking back on it I enjoyed more than I first thought

Furiosa (2024)

Not really made for me but it’s pretty great at what it is trying to do. Treads familiar ground but does it with mastery of the craft.

Grade: B+

P.s. not every movie has to be 2.5 hours + Hollywood!

Blame Australia

Watching Michael Clayton for the first time. All you movie nerds better be right.

4 Likes

Holy shit this is good.

And hitting extra hard because one of my best friends is literally having a psychotic break right now. And I’m having to explain to all her other friends and family on our group text who just want to DO SOMETHING that unless she’s a danger to herself or others, and as long as she’s taking care of herself, there’s NOTHING WE CAN DO. We literally had the PET team talk to her and they told us as much.

But they keep trying shit that’s just antagonizing her, like having her mom come out, which went terribly of course. And now she’s disappeared. But she’s with her car and said she was going to Carmel. So she’s probably ok, but they still want to put out a missing persons on her.

One friend in particular never actually does anything, but seems to see her role as getting others–especially me–riled up to carry out her cockamamie plans that will somehow get our friend committed and then a pill forced down her throat that will magically fix all this.

Her plans remind me of the methheads’ plans to rob the hospital in The Salton Sea. They’re that fucking stupid. But she’s not the planner, I am. She’s just the motivator. That’s her role. To poke me with a stick until I do something.

And I feel like fucking Michael Clayton in this movie trying to shoulder everything and still focus at my job and all my other shit I have going on, including my mom not doing well, while I’m getting texts all day and this thing is twisting me in knots. And I just want to tell them to shut up and leave me alone until something changes, but of course then I’d be the biggest asshole of all time.

Gahhh. Thanks for listening.

I need to watch something calming and go to sleep and finish this tomorrow.

4 Likes

Watched How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days for the first time last night. Kate Hudson plays a columnist for a thinly veiled Cosmo stand-in. For her latest assignment, she decides to date a guy and get him to break up with her by essentially acting like a psycho (which the movie frames as a typical female mistake). Not entirely coincidentally, the titular guy is a Don Draper wannabe played by Matt McCounaughey, who has made a bet with his boss that he can make a woman fall in love with him in 10 days.

Hijinks, of course, ensue. The problem is that the hijinks tend to be more cringey than funny, but not awkward enough to achieve cringe comedy. An example of the movie’s idea of a joke is the girl giving the guy an ugly dog that pees on his office pool table while he has to grin and bear it.

Both leads are given surprisingly little characterization. McCounnaghey’s character gets someone humanized by having a colorful blue collar family in Staten Island. Hudson’s character is largely a mystery, aside from the fact that she has a master’s degree in journalism and aspires to bigger things than writing a column about fashion and dating. This makes it hard for us to see any reason that the leads would fall for each other aside from them both being very attractive.

I’d recommend that you give this one a pass. If you really need to see a romantic comedy with the number 10 in its title, you’d be much better served by 10 Things I Hate About You.

1 Like

That one’s definitely a miss. The other McConaughey romcom I know of, Failure to Launch, is even worse (though you do get to see Terry Bradshaw’s ass if that’s somehow anyone’s goal).

This seems to almost always be followed by success. When have the movie nerds let you down?

1 Like

I don’t understand why the group continues to harass this former friend. She clearly is able to function adequately, and all she wants is to be left alone. Why do all of your friends refuse to respect her space and continue to try to bully her into submission?

1 Like

tenor

1 Like

It’s a combination of a) the mom getting involved, b) the roommate coming to his wit’s end but still not moving out for some reason, and mostly c) this one friend I mentioned who sees it as her duty to rile everyone else up. She thinks it could be something medical and maybe the clock is ticking on when it can be fixed. Also she was on the receiving end of a few legitimately suicidal rants last fall/winter. But it’s been a while since any of those.

I’ve basically quoted you, and others’ advice that I’ve gotten, verbatim to them. But they’re still clinging to hope that there’s some quick fix if they can just get her to a hospital somehow.

Michael Clayton was great. I got sucked in immediately and stayed there the whole movie. Really interesting unique subject matter, and I didn’t expect so much into his personal life.

I have a few quibbles with the ending:

What was the plan with blowing up his car? You can’t just play that off like it’s a crazy person ODing. Seems like that’s going to come back to U/North somehow.

The cops would still instantly know if there were any human remains in the car. It’s not like a fire vaporizes bone.

Did the horses mean something that I missed?

1 Like

I haven’t seen the movie in a while, but I always kind of assumed that they thought they could blow up the sleazy fixer lawyer because there’s no shortage of people that would have a beef with an amoral corporate lawyer that gets rich people out of trouble.

1 Like

It being detectable as a murder isn’t really enough if they covered their tracks as well as they did with Arthur (even if that one is framed to be a non-murder). I find it tough to pick that apart since we saw a lot less of that than the Arthur part.

No idea on the horses either.

If Fury Road is a 10/10, I give Furiosa a 9/10.

1 Like

Why do we think the box office was low?

Then Road Warrior is a 15/10 and Thunderdome is a 12/10.