Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Saw Godzilla x Kong. Was entertained while watching. It’s been 3 days and is rapidly fading from memory. Thank goodness for $6.50 Tuesday afternoons. Noticeable lack of japanese characters.

Godzilla Minus One has ruined me.

Dude is a national treasure. 9 to 5, War Games and Cloak and Dagger are the roles that come to mind.]

Oh yeah, Buffalo Bill was a great TV show. Haven’t thought about that in many many years.

It reminded me of what movies can be.

Upgrade is now on Netflix. It’s an excellent low budget sci-fi thriller that you may not have seen. Written and directed by Leigh Wannell, the writer of Saw and director of Invisible Man.

3 Likes

If anyone wants to see a great Dabney Coleman performance check out The Man With One Red Shoe. It’s a gem imo

This is an excelent soft sci-fi/action movie with excellent choreography and some killer fight scenes.

1 Like

ezgif-7-ea8e4dad6c

1 Like

Makes me so curious what he will do with Wolf Man. Anyone else and I’d predict it’ll be awful, but I trust Leigh to bring it home.

Im glad this doesnt show the end of this fight. Its the best scene in the movie

1 Like

Aw man, RIP. I just recently rewatched 9 to 5, what a banger, whole cast is magnificent.

1 Like

I saw this because you liked it so much and while I wouldn’t put it as my favorite movie, it’s probably the most mature movie, making it stand out above the rest.

1 Like

Definitely the whole cast does a great job, but man it felt like that movie took some great momentum from the first act and ground it to a halt with the weird choice to go into extended dream sequences.

Glad you liked it at least. Mature is a good description. We need more mature movies.

This is a pretty interesting essay about how Challengers is using some of the Hays code era tricks used by directors like Hitchcock to portray sex.

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1791832502350303437?s=46&t=MZ6hDo7KHLKIDL2qeG0oqg

4 Likes

I am so on board with this Lanthimos Stone thing.

3 Likes

Saw this in the theater with my parents.

Have rewatched two of these since I made this post.

Unforgiven is great. Not really sure why it didn’t land for me the first time.

Strangelove I can maybe get to a moderately positive opinion on now, but it still doesn’t do a lot for me and I’m still inclined to put it in the weaker half of the Kubrick filmography.

Still need to get to the above-mentioned PTA rewatches.

2 Likes

:vince2:

3 Likes

Whew! It sure is.

I’m sure I posted about this here, but last year I tried Barry Lyndon and it seemed like an elaborate joke. 87% on Rotten Tomatoes, 8.1/10 on IMDB. Crazytown.

Barry Lyndon is my most significant Kubrick gap. People do fucking love that one. It pulls a 4.4/5 average on Letterboxd.

I also haven’t seen Full Metal Jacket, but it feels like that’s a longer shot for me to like. I’m a tough sell for war films (even though I do genuinely love some of them), but there are some must-sees I need to get to and that’s on the list.