Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I think the best movie I saw with MoviePass was Crawl, which turned out to be a 5/5 banger, incredible movie. What if there was a flood and a crocodile moved into your house? That’s literally the entire premise of this movie, it rules.

4 Likes

There is nothing in Megalopolis that feels like something out of a “normal” movie. It has its own logic and cadence and vernacular. The characters speak in archaic phrases and words, mixing shards of Shakespeare, Ovid, and at one point straight-up Latin. Some characters speak in rhyme, others just in high-minded prose that feels like maybe it should be in verse. At one point, Adam Driver does the entire “To be or not to be” soliloquy from Hamlet . Why? I’m not exactly sure. But it sure sounds good.

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1791216261612916790

Wild horses couldn’t drag me from this movie

1 Like

Every update about this movie makes it feel more like a homework assignment that I dread but will not be able to avoid.

2 Likes

7 minute standing ovation? My hands would be fucking numb after 2, what the hell is this shit?

1 Like

They do that at Cannes all the time, it’s pretentious silliness.

2 Likes

Maybe Coppola charged the stage and slapped a guy before the movie.

Turtles All The Way Down

6/10

A drama about a girl with OCD, with a bit of teen romantic comedy thrown in. The movie really needed to be cut down by 30 minutes, there’s just not plot to necessitate another 30 minutes. The main actress, Isabela Merced, does a better than average job as the neurotic main character, and her friend played by Cree Cicchino does a good job as the quirky half of the Superbad dynamic.

Other than a kind of enduring and earnest detour into a discussion with a college professor if her OCD compulsions means that there is no ‘self’ to herself the movie skates on the surface.

Not really recommending it to anyone.

It looks terrible. Maybe good terrible with some flashes of brilliance though?

I’m a non-acknowledger of “good terrible,” if it’s terrible I’m going to sigh heavily and hate it. But I hope it surprises me and is great. I can’t see myself just skipping it.

https://x.com/MattDonnelly/status/1791238096115155023

lol

5 Likes

Did you see Babylon? Not a great movie but I’m glad I saw it. I think that’s the best case scenario for this one.

1 Like

Yeah, I think Babylon is pretty good, though unfortunately its rabid defenders have big “weed is the center of my personality” energy about it. I’m looking at you, Sean Fennessey.

To expand on “pretty good”: I think it’s one of those “has some really great moments but isn’t the easiest to sit through the whole bloated thing” movies. Agree that it was worth sitting through. If this is as good as Babylon I’ll be happy. Despite the slightly underwater RT score, Babylon is pretty positive reviewed by the masses (3.8/5 average on LB, 7.1/10 average on IMDb). Not sure we’ll see the same with Megalopolis. Here’s hoping.

2 Likes

I love Babylon. It’s a messy, half-cooked, manic, insane, over-the-top, how did this get made, love letter to the first part of cinema history. I was smiling from start to end.

1 Like

Every time I read about this movie I want to see it more.

1 Like

Definitely hard to tell given the reactions if Megalopolis is a movie I’ll love or hate…most likely imo is a mix of both (plus a lot of confusion), but who knows, the Southland Tales comparisons make me hopeful I’ll like all of it

Unlike for Furiosa (next week!), where the floor is at “really good”, can’t wait

1 Like

Not sure if I’m ponied here but just saw on Max that Dune Part Two premiers Tuesday

1 Like

There’s something irresistible about seeing someone take a wild swing. I’m here to see the attempt. Whether it’s good is secondary. It’ll be majestic either way.

1 Like

Fall Guy (2024)

Totally forgettable fun but still fun. Not much more to say.

Grade: B

2 Likes

RIP Dabney Coleman :cry: