Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

2 Likes
2 Likes

Omg

1 Like

The same. I gave this a shot based on the praise ITT. I thought it would be at least somewhat schlocky, but it was dead serious, like a less extreme Aranofsky Wrestler vibe. That ending wow.

I came into this not knowing anything about their story, so I escaped the LKJ effect.

2 Likes

This looks so much better than the recent TMNT movies.

2 Likes

Holy shit

2 Likes

AI is going to turn copyright laws right on it’s head and I don’t think there’s anyway to put it back in the bag. All the lawyers in the world won’t be able to do anything when anyone can just create what they want using it. They’ll be sending out endless cease and desist orders and suing everyone but it’s not going to stop it at all.

Jones got whitefaced.

1 Like

OK I’ll say it: damn these AI trailers to hell.

5 Likes

Here’s one that was made by a human.

1 Like

reminds me of

2 Likes

Easy to believe that’s real lol well done

Zaitoichi in Desperation (1972) Your favorite wandering swordsman with the backwards grip is at it again, Zaitoichi in Desperation is probably the best one of these Zaitoichi movies I’ve seen, love the grindhouse pulp aesthetic and it’s legitimately well-shot throughout. Big recommend if you like spaghetti Westerns. On Criterion Channel now.

The Roundup (2022) is the second in a series of South Korean action films that people tell me are great, I was sort of underwhelmed but I did kinda enjoy the 90’s action movie vibe, it’s the kind of movie you’d expect Jason Statham or Steven Segal in. Ma Dong-seok from Train to Busan is a cop who’s mastered the martial art of punching motherfuckers in the face. It’s okay if you’ve got nothing else to watch.

I’ve been on an accidental run of movies with the “unsupportive wife” archetype. It’s so tedious these roles solely exist for the female character to complain about the “great work” the husband is doing. Half the time they are right.

What films avoid this stereotype?

Semi-serious answer

1. Ones where the female lead is a manic pixie dream girl steretype instead
  2. Ones where the woman is a badass warrior type who is out to protect/get revenge on behalf of her family.
  3. Female driven ensemble comedies where the dudes are the one dimensional punchlines

But, yeah, in a lot of movies with a male protagonist, the wife is portrayed as a wet blanket type who is ruining the fun (even if she is “right”)

2 Likes

I thought that Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret had a particularly nice view of a healthy relationship between Margaret’s parents. Not just some surface-level bliss in the background; they serviced the characters enough to show them squabbling a bit, but in ways where each person had a valid point of view and neither came out at all less likable for it.

The woman is more central than the man, and both are supporting characters to the kid, so it might not be entirely the sort you’re looking for, but I did think it stood out as a refreshing marriage within a movie, one that processed conflict that propelled the story without the writing being shitty to anyone involved.

4 Likes

Hanks’s wife in The Green Mile is just a pillar of support for him.

The Untouchables comes to mind. Costner’s wife isn’t reduced by the nagging thing, and they even make a point of having him nicely comment to another cop about how nice it is to be married.

Fargo is sort of another, though it’s gender-flipped where McDormand is the main character, but her husband is just this nice, supportive rock (who may or may not be the Zodiac killer on the side).

Once in a while movies manage to include a spouse without belittling them.

2 Likes

Watching The Firm now so I can listen to the Rewatchables. Gene Hackman hitting on Jean Tripplehorn and then her kissing him has to be a top 5 creepy movie moment.

1 Like

Oh damn, you’re in for a treat on both fronts. Great movie, and a standout Rewatchables.

1 Like

Thank God I’m through that scene.

2 Likes