Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

What a dreadful fucking movie. Its pretty well made, but goddamn it is super unpleasant to sit through.

I compare it now to something like A Marriage Story which is equally depressing but doesnt have the same cynical, nasty bent to it that The Break-Up does.

I remember this being a really funny scene, and watching it back, itā€™s even funnier.

At home with just my wife (who had similar feelings on the movie as I did).

Maybe it would have been more enjoyable in a bigger, rowdier group.

https://x.com/MarkHamill/status/1788625861543125141

A Trickster movie? Will it be SLIPSTREAM 2???!?!?

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Good movie IMO, fun time at the theater. If youā€™re a fan of the reboot trilogy then I expect youā€™ll like this one too. If youā€™re like me and thought that the third installment of that trilogy was the weak link of the three, I thought this marked a rebound and cleared that one. Given that itā€™s set 300 years after the most recent installment and we donā€™t have Caesar as a protagonist, itā€™s a victory for them to have reestablished their world in a way that is still very engaging given how instrumental the Andy Serkis performance was to those movies.

3.5/5

3 Likes

So whose idea was it to watch it? Yours or hers?

I chose it

Iā€™d get a yuuge eyeroll for pulling that move.

PSA: if you havenā€™t seen The Iron Claw and want to, itā€™s scheduled to hit Max overnight.

3 Likes

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1788868883694125304

This sucks; Iā€™d heard good things about the fan movie.

Tolkien Jr. deserves a lot of credit for being a good steward of his fatherā€™s legacy. Now that the grandkids are in charge, itā€™s been a shameless corporate money grab.

ngl, this might get me to the theatre

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1788661703275598227

1 Like

There better be a Kitboga cameo in here

1 Like
1 Like

Ok thatā€™s freaking cool. This one was suggested as well

1 Like

Iā€™m more of a Pierogi guy but lately been feeling Rinoa.

1 Like

Amazing. I got recommended this one next.

2 Likes

Yeah i could get lost on that YouTube page. Nice share

1 Like

omg.

1 Like

Woah. I had high expectations and they were met, if not exceeded. I thought this was a great film.

1 Like

Yeah, yours is a pretty common reaction from what Iā€™ve found. I liked it and thought it was a good movie, and I find that most people are even more effusive about it than I am. Biggest thing that I think probably kept my reaction more measured was knowing the details of the Von Erich story so thoroughly going into it that I was essentially like a book reader watching an adaptation, which is the worst sort of mindset for being able to immerse yourself in a movie experience. But again, I still liked it and plan to rewatch it at some point.

In a weaker Oscar year, Iā€™m confident it wouldnā€™t have been ignored. Its specific release in December 2023 kind of left its award hopes dead in the water. It still had a good box office run though.

1 Like