Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I know one of the police/mayoral flunkies in Conquest. He comes from a prominent local family and had a bit of career in the 70s and 80s.

He gets thrown over a ledge and killed in conquest eventually.

He was also one of Oscar Goldmans agents in Bionic Woman.

2 Likes

Same. Isnā€™t Red Dragon directed by Brett Ratner?

Personally however I bypass both of them for how well told Red Dragon was in the Hannibal TV series.

Apes reboot was great. I was very skeptical going in, buy they really put some care into these movies, it never felt like a cheap nostalgia cash grab.

1 Like

Yeah its a shame you watched in that order, Peterson is a much better Graham and Manhunter is way more interesting (kinda blah ending aside) than Red Dragon

Yes. In his defense, The Family Man is good. But yeah heā€™s not a very interesting director.

Hannibal TV series is pretty dull despite its objective competence, not sure whether I made it to the end of season one.

1 Like

Man, you didnā€™t like the In a Gadda Da Vida part? I thought that was a highlight.

Probably my biggest criticism of Manhunter was the ridiculous shit where Peterson would just give entire minute-long exposition monologues out loud while talking to himself. There had to be a better way than that. But anyway, I thought it was a good movie.

Scorching take imo

1 Like

I credited it with objective competence! Very positive of me IMO.

2 Likes

Scorching hot take. That series hooked me from the beginning. I felt like the first two seasons in particular are intense and easy to binge.

Basically nothing better on basic cable in the 2010s.
How they got that to air on NBC is incredible

I watched Anyone But You over the past couple nights on Netflix. It wasnā€™t very good. Itā€™s trying to be a somewhat raunchy romantic comedy along the lines of Wedding Crashers, but it largely fails at the comedy and romance bits.

My wife, who didnā€™t know who Sydney Sweeney is, remarked on her breasts unprompted. The remarks had more to do with them being flaunted in nearly every scene than with their size.

Steel Magnolias

8/10

Watched the rerelease in theaters. Probably the best example of ā€˜Southern charmā€™ in a movie. The cast is stacked and everyone does a good job.

1 Like

Itā€™s entirely below average, and has significantly outperformed a bunch of better movies for no reason that I can understand. If a person wants to watch a solid Glen Powell romcom on Netflix, Set It Up is right there. Itā€™s nothing incredible or groundbreaking, but no question itā€™s better than Anyone But You. As a bonus, unlike Sydney Sweeney, Zoey Deutch can actually act.

donā€™t know if this is a hot take or not, but I thought Wedding Crashers was pretty terrible. One of the most disappointing films Iā€™ve ever seen (though I imagine had I just gone in without the hype, I still would not have liked it).

The scenes with Will Ferrell were great. Pretty much everything else missed for me.

1 Like

Any particular reason Steel Magnolias is getting a theater re-release?

Did Sally Field die and I missed it?

Did you see it in the theater or at home? A lot of people were laughing hard where I saw it, and I think that makes a difference.

It was part of Fathomā€™s Big Screen Classics series. It was the 35th anniversary. Other than that I wasnā€™t aware of any particular reason.

1 Like

yes

2 Likes

Yeah Vince Vaughn alone can elevate any comedy to at least good

Yes. I even liked The Break-up quite a bit more than most everyone else did.

1 Like