Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

When is the last time a director has ever had a better year than Schindlers List and Jurassic Park

2 Likes

John Ford in 1939 wins this imo.

Stagecoach
Young Mr. Lincoln
Drums along the Mohawk
The Grapes of Wrath

Every film had multiple Oscar nominations and several won.

Interesting question

1 Like

The Cable Guy is sort of like What About Bob? from Dreyfussā€™s POV.

Anyway, I donā€™t want Killers of the Flower Moon touched, but itā€™s easy to imagine the book POV of an FBI procedural having been really strong too.

We were talking about bad movie names a while ago

The Bikeriders is a bad name

Yeah but Iā€™m still going to watch it. Jodie Comer and Tom Hardy :vince3:

1 Like

This is another one of those ā€œTom Hardy tries a weird voiceā€ movies

The movie industry bobbled an incredible concept:

1 Like

Bullets and Blockbusters did a nice glimpse into what the movie would have looked like

I hate having to go back and revise history after watching movies in the wrong order, like with what happened when I saw Joker before I saw The King of Comedy.

In the case of seeing Manhunter well after seeing Red Dragon, obviously I was aware that they were adaptations of the same book - many years ago, I did read the book also - but watching Manhunter after all this time ended up being jarring all the same because it alerted me to the fact that Red Dragon had matched almost every beat of it and had actually lifted a bunch of key lines from it verbatim. I couldnā€™t tell you for sure whether Red Dragon lifted the lines from Manhunter or if those lines were in the book and therefore made it into both adaptations, but what I can absolutely tell you is that there was practically no artistic justification for Red Dragon having ever been made (though I realize there was surely a commercial one) when Manhunter already existed. I qualify that with ā€œpracticallyā€ because Red Dragon did add the great Graham-Lecter scene at the start - something not contained within Manhunter - but after the opening credits of that movie roll, they did essentially nothing new with it. It was almost as direct of a lift as Gus Van Sant just recreating Psycho in color shot-for-shot.

Red Dragon had a stacked cast, featuring Edward Norton, Anthony Hopkins, Ralph Fiennes, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, so naturally the execution is solid and I thought it was a good movie. Honestly, I donā€™t even think the quality in a vacuum is significantly lower than that of Manhunter. Unfortunately, Iā€™m still now left to roll my eyes at it even existing.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never been into tennis and I still donā€™t understand what people like about Zendaya, but ā€œChallengersā€ was a lot of fun ! those last 15 minutes, especiallyā€¦thatā€™s why we go to the movies

2 Likes

lol

2 Likes

Pretty sure the only reason that Red Dragon was made was because they didnā€™t name it Red Dragon like the book.

I think Red Dragon is way lower quality than Manhunter personally. Norton sucks in it imo. Ralph pretty good though. Hopkins just sort of there not doing much compared to Silence.

Iā€™m a pretty tough sell on Norton sucking in anything, but I do think he always struggled to be as believable as a lead protagonist than as a shady character of some kind. Only time it really worked well was as Smoochy when he got to be a deliberately over-the-top goody two shoes for comedic purposes.

Lecter is a minor character in the book, seems they tried to beef him up a little just to give Hopkins more time. I thought he was still good in it.

The direct lifting of key lines seems so absurd though. Got to the part in Manhunter when Crawford is breaking the new bad development to Graham and Graham is demanding he spit it out. I actually thought, ā€œoh noā€¦is he actually about to say, word for word, ā€˜the bastard gave him your home addressā€™?ā€ And then it happened. And I threw up my hands in despair at just how direct of a copy Red Dragon had been.

1 Like

Watching original planet of the apes, I think Iā€™ve only seen parts of it as a kid, love Charleton Heston smoking a cigar in the space ship as the opener

2 Likes

Itā€™s excellent. I didnā€™t get around to it until I was scolded in this thread about not having seen it. I really like the reboot trilogy, and Iā€™m hoping the new installment can meet the median quality level of that trilogy, but the original is still the best Apes movie Iā€™ve seen.

1 Like

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes was pretty intense for me as a 9 year old. But itā€™s my favorite of the series and probably my favorite cheesy movie of all time.

1 Like

I havenā€™t dug into the sequels to that original, but I do intend to at least try them despite how dire some of the reviews are.

I found Beneath the Planet of the Apes rather silly, although Return to the Planet of the Apes takes place in the 1970s US, and is a light-hearted satire of contemporary life in the US.