Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I forgot children of men!

Iā€™ll put Sullivanā€™s Travels in my top 10 if Clovis gets to keep Eternal Sunshine

1 Like

I, uhh, havenā€™t seen Children of Men somehow. Iā€™m aware of what a significant miss that is and will address it in due course.

4 Likes

It was actually THE favorite that year. I donā€™t know what the exact odds were, but Spotlight winning shocked a lot of people.

Okay, well thatā€™s crazy. Yes, Spotlight is the much, much better film and would have been my pick that year to win among a strong field.

Iā€™ve never even heard of this! Guess I know what I am watching this weekend. Itā€™s the only film listed so far I havenā€™t seen.

One Night in Miami - Wikipediaā€¦

Itā€™s definitely good and worth watching. I donā€™t have it on the level that eyebooger does, but still.

2 Likes

If you want a meta list of best of the century:

1 Like

A few of the 2000-2004 would make my list if we had set 2000 as cutoff.

Russian Ark! Bleh. Thatā€™s a gimmick and boring as hell.

Appreciate the link. Adding Toni Erdmann to my watchlist. Iā€™ve gotta watch more of Sandra Hullerā€™s work; her 2023 was impressive.

2 Likes

Man the first movie that pops into my mind whenever this comes up is Birdman. And looking at these lists I still feel good about that.

Thatā€™s a rough list to not even include Best Picture winner The Artist in the top 250. Every list I keep looking at shows me how underwhelming movies overall have been in the 21st century. I also havenā€™t seen very many of them either.

Damn thatā€™s one Iā€™d like to see for the first time again

1 Like

I hope you connect with it on rewatch. I had a similar disconnect the first time, but the second and third times, I watched it with the same obsessive interest as There Will Be Blood.

1 Like

The Dark Knight
Inside Out
Hamilton
The Other Guys
Children of Men
Inglourious Basterds
Life Itself
CODA
Inception
The Lego Movie

4 Likes

Did this happen on a revisit or because of future fame? That movie had a ton of hilarious stuff in it but I wouldnā€™t rank that in any list. Interesting selection.

Some personal favorites from the last 20 years (focusing on some not already mentioned, and not trying to bring it down to 10 which would be too difficult) :

Pacifiction (2022)
Burning (2018)
La flor (2018)
First reformed (2017)
Fury road (2015)
Right now, wrong then (2015)
Mia madre (2015)
Phoenix (2014)
Nightcrawler (2014)
Melancholia (2011)
Wendy and Lucy (2008)
Southland tales (2006)
The descent (2005)
The village (2004)
Collateral (2004)
Memories of murder (2003 in Korea but 2004 in rest of the world, so Iā€™ll take it. btw this is one I think everyone here would like)

Some of the older ones I havenā€™t seen in a very long time and Iā€™ll admit am somewhat scared to revisit

4 Likes

Hamilton isnā€™t a movie?

Ooh. Life itself is so good. Didnā€™t think of it. Nice one.

Wow one of these sticks out as so different than the rest, in a million years if you gave me the rest of the list I wouldnā€™t have guessed it was the missing one. :grin:

Three on your list I have not seen I added to my queue.

1 Like

Trying to guess which one youā€™re talking aboutā€¦could be ā€œSouthland talesā€ (one of those Iā€™m scared to revisit although i watched it repeatedly 15 years ago) or "The Descent " (most people think itā€™s ā€œonlyā€ good or very good, i think itā€™s one of the best horror movies ever) ?

1 Like