Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I watched Dream Scenario today. Very interesting the whole way through, but I wanted everything to build to a much bigger finish. I could kinda sense that it would go to credits on something more subtle.

So it was interesting, but not sure why I’d ever watch it again.

1 Like

Damn it, LKJ. I wanted the moon. :crazy_face:

Yeah, pretty much how I feel. Liked it, feel no real need to revisit it. I’m surprised my snap-reaction was even to be kind to the final moments since I don’t remember any of the final act all that fondly.

1 Like

You can often get the sense for what the wide reaction is from something like its Letterboxd distribution:

A clear picture of “consistently enjoyed, but loved by almost nobody.” Elsewhere, its current IMDb is 7.1. Plenty of room to watch a movie like that obviously, but your chances that it will be a full-on home run for you are not great.

RT seems to be the most oft-cited grade by a lot, but it’s really limited. Its primary value just lies in its offering us scores from advance screenings that give us some sort of sense before the other sites might have grades up at all yet. This value lies entirely in helping a person to decide whether to go to a new theatrical release. For anything more than a couple of weeks old, people should always look elsewhere.

It should also be noted that RT scores are purely to be viewed as a negative freeroll; there’s obvious grade inflation going on where there’s more positive RT scores than there are good movies. It’s way more likely to mislead you in one direction than the other. If the average comes back rotten, the movie is probably not good. If it comes back fresh…who knows, all it did was dodge the rotten rating. Regardless, it is still valuable and I still look at it in the right circumstances. It’s a solid first line of defense against bad movies, but nothing more.

3 Likes

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1776234677541409275

The people who read Animorphs as kids are making movies now and I am into it.

1 Like

When I saw “Nightbitch”, this is who I thought of:

If they make an animorphs-style poster of Amy Adams turning into a dog I will hang it on my wall.

1 Like

I liked monkey man, it’s fairly light on action until 3rd act imo, I was expecting more like John wick amounts but it’s good

1 Like

You thought “Madame Web” had a bad rating?

I introduce The American Society of Magical Negroes (2024) - IMDb into evidence.

2 Likes

Those reviews are magical. Wow.

Holy fuck that plot description? :joy:

The movie also includes a group of trans and gender-nonconforming characters who join Kid in his fight against India’s elite. “For me, this is an anthem for the underdogs, the voiceless and the marginalized,” Patel said. “Together they wage this war for the good and the just, and for me, I really wanted to include the hijra community, the third gender in India.”

Oh???

1 Like

I didn’t realize this was the case really watching it

1 Like

Ah that’s interesting. Well now I’m curious enough to watch it someday.

I saw “Fury Road” in the theater and quite liked it, but have never had the desire to see it again. In contrast, I’ve probably watched “the Road Warrior” three times since then. Might just be a nostalgia thing, but to me it seems tRW is the better movie.

1 Like

@Trolly You’ve been talking up Criterion Channel for a while and I’ve been sleeping on it. A one-week free trial later, I’m pretty sure I’m never letting this service go. Really great stuff.

The Godfather is now on AppleTV+
Bit of a hidden gem

5 Likes

Damn Barbie movie wrecked it for me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Monkey Man

This was a fun time, probably more especially aided by the effects of Dolby Cinema than even the average movie is (though that’s always a noticeable boost to any theater experience). Clearly the action was heavily inspired by John Wick, and John Wick actually gets name-checked in one scene - at that, a weapon selection scene like you see in a Wick movie. I won’t put it at the John Wick level in terms of enjoyable action, but it’s not far behind. I tended to think the choreography in Wick was better, while this movie occasionally crosses the gore line from “fun” to “gross” more often than the Wick movies ever really do. That’s a relatively small criticism, but still worth noting if you’re the squeamish sort.

However, it would do this movie a bit of a disservice to just act like it’s John Wick in a new skin. It’s clear that, in his directorial debut, Dev Patel was also trying to embed a social commentary. Honestly, I’ll probably need an eventual rewatch before I can comment intelligently on all of what he was going for there, but it bears noting that it definitely runs a bit deeper than many of the vigilante justice movies you’ve otherwise seen.

Good movie, worth a trip to the theater. 3.5/5.

3 Likes

Agree the action isn’t as good as John wick but outside of the action it has more going for it than wick as you said

1 Like