Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

It holds up wonderfully to rewatch. Every time I think about it I get the bug to turn it back on again. It absolutely fits the (now fairly dead for many of us) Rewatchables concept of a movie you could run across when flipping channels and could just drop in anywhere and be hooked.

Jason Clarke was such pitch-perfect casting for the slimy attorney role. I know it wasn’t the sort of role that was going to have him in the awards conversation, but I love watching his scenes.

1 Like

I thought he gave a standout performance. I still haven’t forgiven him for that awful Terminator movie though.

Yeah this is pretty perfectly paced. Very well edited and the music is perfect to hook me and keep me on the edge of my seat. I’m glad I gave it a second spin because it really was so much to process that I barely remembered anything from my first viewing.

This was good enough to get me excited about whatever Nolan makes next. I thought those days were past after the terrible one two punch of Dunkirk and Tenet.

Watched Spaceman, released today on Netflix, starring Adam Sandler, Carey Mulligan, and (sort of) Paul Dano. It was a terrible mistake. Save yourselves; do not watch this crap. I cannot get my mind around the fact that this had the same director as Chernobyl, as well as this collection of talent, and it was as bad as it was. I knew I was utterly screwed at the 30-minute mark and pondered a quit, but for some reason decided to press on.

The entire value I derived from it was the self-deprecating amusement I get from the fact that I followed up my watch last night of what is easily thus far the best 2024 release to date with what was, at least from what I’ve seen so far, the worst. I wasn’t aiming for quite so poetic of a result.

It’s not altogether the same concept as Cast Away, the comparison is entirely because of the structure featuring a lead spending very long periods of time being the only person on screen, but I still couldn’t help but sum it up as “what if Cast Away was really, really, really bad?” 1/5. Strongest recommendation to avoid.

2 Likes

As with Aliens, I have not progressed past T2.

When I dropped in on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, I wondered, “Can this guy really be a straightforward heroic protagonist?” Like Ed Norton, he has that edge that makes you naturally expect his character to be a prick. However, I did find that I bought into him in that role and thought he did a good job.

Along with Oppenheimer, he quietly turned in another strong attorney performance in 2023 with The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial, this time playing a non-slimeball. That one was just kind of quietly dropped onto Paramount a handful of months ago without a theater run, but I found it a really compelling watch.

1 Like

I tried to watch Mutiny but just couldn’t get into it. Very surprised. I ultimately agreed with some critic who said it’s fine but doesn’t justify being a movie vs stage play so don’t go in exciting A Few Good Men. Is this one I should give a second shot?

The movies are all disappointing, but the OG sequel 3D show that brought back the original cast is worth watching.

Meh, if it didn’t grab you it didn’t grab you. I do think that what seems at first like a pretty weird Kiefer Sutherland performance gets redeemed as you watch on, and I felt like it was a fairly unpredictable story, but there’s no question that it feels like it was made on the cheap with over 90% of the story happening in that one room.

It’s not in A Few Good Men’s league, certainly. But that’s one of my untouchable personal favorites, so I don’t really stack other legal dramas up to that standard.

1 Like

Hollywood: Creates one of the best years in auteur cinema we’ve had in ages
Me: Sits down to watch Leprechaun.

MV5BNTQ3NTI1ODIxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDQwMDY5.V1

6 Likes

Bro I’ve been cranking out seinfeld episodes while a bunch of these movies sit on streaming services and Shogun is ready to go on Hulu. Sometimes ya just don’t want to think and just watch old crap

2 Likes

Locked and loaded. Without this movie, we def wouldn’t get Friends with Aniston.

1 Like

Chernobyl had a lot of strange choices in it, so it shouldn’t surprise you missteps could be made

No love for my man Warwick Davis?

Aw man, now I’m pot-committed to seeing Leprechaun in the Hood. Coolio is in it? Sweet!

1 Like

I know Ive posted a number of times about this here, but its so stunningly gross, that I can’t get over it. Here is Will Forte talking about how good this movie that nobody else will ever see is.

I really do with there was some consumer boycott about this. I know consumer boycotts aren’t effective at changing behavior but here you just want to more pain than writing the movie off would.

Seeing Dune on real imax today. So glad I live in one of the few cities with real imax at 1.43:1.

1 Like

“I have a story for you. You might kill me.”

These are words no writer wants to hear from their editor, and yet on Thursday at 3:04 p.m. they came ringing in my ear like a death knell.

“So there’s a screening of ‘Dune: Part Two’ at 3:15 in the morning,” he said. I see where this is going. “Wouldn’t it be fun if you went?”

1 Like

https://twitter.com/pderevere/status/1734920378978353372?t=TDVbkfkz0gUG1FDvsL4_eQ&s=19

Lol

1 Like

Big news from Dune 2 is that AMC has dropped the Nicole Kidman intro

1 Like

They just switched to another one that’s noticeably but only slightly different. Not sure what the point of the change was.

Can’t decide whether to travel to a general admission theater for 30m and pay $20 or get free reserved central seat Dolby