Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

From what I’ve read you need to see it as close to real iMax in terms of screen size and audio as possible.

1 Like

The Dolby experience was wonderful, but I’ll always give preference to the comfy seat when a movie runs 2:45+ like this. Obviously possible that IMAX could give the better experience if you throw the seat downgrade out of the equation.

2 Likes

Weren’t people saying the same thing about Oppenheimer?

Dune 2 in a nutshell

Dune 2

Holy fuck. See this on the biggest screen with the best sound you can.

This is outstanding. It might be the most beautiful visual film ever made. It’s like the first time I saw Jurassic park.

lol Star Wars so hard. This embarrasses every other space opera so badly. It makes them all worse.

Grade: A+

It’s also maybe the most anti-religious film ever made.

2 Likes

This film is Villneuve telling Nolan to hold his hat. It is for sure the best imax format film ever made.

You had me at Denis

1 Like

Agreed. Granted I didn’t quite titrate my edible dosage correctly but the things I took issue with were:

They send Paul out into the desert to test his survival ability at the beginning. Then they suddenly cut to him attacking the spice harvester with the Fremen soldiers with absolutely no transition. It was jarring. Same thing at the end of the movie where it isn’t really clear where they even are? They are in the south and then suddenly Walken and Co. show up. Are they in the south? They fire off the nukes and they appear to hit the capital city in the north. How does that happen? Then the movie ends in Arraken? How did everyone get there? Maybe I was just too baked to understand what was going on.

I also didn’t like how the plot took zero risks. Yes I realize there is a book series they are following but the plot was so utterly predictable to be boring almost. The one big reveal/surprise was that Paul is a Harkonnen? So what. Why does this matter at all?

1 Like

Ya the plot was ok. I didn’t really care. To me it was a stunning visual film with some silly space religion around the edges I could barely pay attention to.

My only quibble was Walkin was so bad. I expected him to start talking about his dad’s watch.

2 Likes

We needed to shoehorn in a scene somehow where Baron Harkonnen says to Paul
“Paul, I am your grandfather”

1 Like

Ya I had no exposure to the story but it’s pretty clear Star Wars is just a wholesale rip off of the entire plot.

I fear that people don’t talk about Billy Bob Thornton’s performance in A Simple Plan enough. One of the best performances by anyone in the past 30 years.

1 Like

My Dune 2 experience was mostly hearing nerd boyfriends explaining to their bored girlfriends what was going on and who was who. My favourite being right at the start with the Harkonen saying “he who controls the spice…” and the person directly behind me goes “what’s spice again?”

1 Like

People who talk in a theatre should be beaten silly. No trial. I’m not being facetious.

2 Likes

It’s one of the reasons I rarely go to the theatre anymore. Annoying af

I’m ruthless. If someone talks in a movie near me I instantly confront them. Did it as the sphere a couple weeks ago. It’s psychotic antisocial behaviour that has to be stopped.

1 Like

Planning to go see it mid week at the earliest show possible to avoid crowds

What about during the trailers for other films before the movie actually starts. OK or not OK?

The dividing line is when the lights drop for the movie itself IMO. After that, it’s full lockdown.

I don’t really pay close attention but here’s the order at the last movie I went to, IIRC

1. Lights on and some advertisements playing
  2. Lights dimmed
  3. Trailers for other movies
  4. Movie begins

I don’t recall any change in lighting between 3 and 4.

So it sounds like your answer is that talking during #3 is not OK. Do I have that right?