Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Same thing with Gotham. Yeah its cheesey and over the top, but the villains being real characters with seasons long backstories and motives to them make it the best Batman villain show

I somehow didnt realize Saraya and the lead in Midsommar were played by the same person

1 Like

I loved Gotham because of and in spite of the fact that it is so cheesy and over the top. They knew what they were doing and went for it.

1 Like

Yeah, and I think it shows in the best portrayal of both The Penguin and the Riddler put to screen (I havent seen The Batman, so I’m not able to take that Riddler into consideration) and a really good performance of “The Joker”

How could you forget about No Holds Barred?

Did you know that Zelina Vega was AJ Lee?

1 Like

Riddler in the Batman is quite good imo, I love Paul dano

2 Likes

Yes, that one I did know. I remember seeing something about them filming the Raw scene at a live taping which would have been a lot of fun to participate in.

Doesnt surprise me, I read someone say that The Batman was like if DC was run by David Fincher, and I thought “Riddler would be a perfect villain for that style.”

Hes always portrayed so goofily, but dude is majorly fucked up and can be terrifying if handled correctly.

1 Like
  1. Paul
  2. Ringo
  3. George
  4. John

I think Paul primes the pump even if it means mixing timelines. It’s essential that the movie make us care about Ringo and George. I think you have to do John last as the big finish.

3 Likes

The boys have an excellent review of this train wreck too

1 Like

And action movies in general. Why do we remember Terminator, Alien even something like the Rocky series above similar movies? The villain is a major part of it.

The Zone of Interest

It’s not easy to judge movies like this.

There were definitely some powerful scenes, especially the tour of the garden with the sounds of the camp in the distance.

That kind of covert evil (I can’t really think of a better phrase for it) worked a whole lot better than the overtly evil scenes (I did not like the scene where they brought the young girl in and insinuated a sexual assault at all).

Again, it’s really hard to rate these. I’m thinking 7/10 or 8/10. It’s not a perfect movie, nor the best about this subject, but it is very unique and certainly worth a watch.

3 Likes

Question about Oppemheimer. I had read online about people being weirded out by the sex scene. Is the only one in the movie the one in the first sixth, or are there more to come?

There’s a brief sort of callback to it out of nowhere a bit later. That’s the extent of it.

If you’re asking for parenting purposes: if they can watch the first scene, they can watch the other thing that happens. There is another sequence of lingering nudity as well.

1 Like

hans

1 Like

All of Us Strangers, a film featuring a cast of people who are not Christopher Guest, is now on Hulu. One of the better 2023 Oscars hopefuls that the Academy ignored. Recommended viewing.

1 Like

going to watch tonight probably since i can’t get to drive away dolls, been waiting on it all month.

recent watches:

Venom - not that great but i like tom hardy and i like the alter ego comedy, watched it with my son who loves marvel otherwise i wouldnt have watched it

Society of Snow - thought it was good not great

Jojo Rabbit - liked this alot, the hitler character is great and the storys great

Speak no Evil - i liked this, ending is rough but honestly not as bad as i feared, i had to look away at the one scene though for sure

I am not your Negro - narrated by Sam Jackson, james baldwin writings about mlk/medgar evers/malcolm, was pretty good

Promising Young woman - i liked this alot and seems some people didnt like the ending but i liked it

Out of Darkness - meh was ok, wouldnt really recommend

How We get free - short doc about woman that runs a bail fund in colorado, i liked it, end cash bail please

Sanctuary - erotic drama? all takes place in a hotel room between a female dom and male sub thats bout to take over his fathers hotel chain after his death and their “power struggle”

Bridge of Spies - someone here said this was phenomenal, I liked tom hanks and fat damon shows up in it as a pilot. i thought it was fine, standard spy movie, well done with good acting but theres not much spy stuff really, kinda boring but i liked learning the history

Everything everywhere all at once - liked it alot, nothin that hasnt been said

Venom let there be carnage - again watched at my sons request, worse than the first one, still liked tom hardy and the comedy part of the venom character, woody is fine too

Harriet - liked it ok but pretty standard and dramatized it prolly more than they had to

Dont Worry Darling - i liked this alot, didnt go back looking for opinions here but i was surprised that the reviews for audience and critics were so bad and i had already spoilered myself here on the overall deal so i knew that the whole way through

2 Likes

It’s been a more-than-sluggish start to the movie year, and I think I have this dead last of the ones I’ve seen.

I fear that you took my “better than Fury Road” comments, which are true, as calling this movie phenomenal. I wouldn’t come too close to calling it phenomenal, but I did like it.

Speaking of, I did earlier this week reach out to an old friend for a lifeline that I didn’t really expect him to respond so wonderfully to:

nah gimme Fury Road baby

2 Likes