Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Oppenheimer

The first 30 minutes of this pissed me off way more than I expected. No one talks like that and those images of sciencey stuff in his brain were idiotic. (The worst of these was when he was looking at the stars and then they started moving).

Thankfully it got far better in the later five-sixths of the movie. Great characters, great story, great acting, god-tier score (if there is one award that should be a lock, this is it).

I still had some problems with it (specifically that scene where they were having sex at the security clearance meeting was particularly terrible), but very much enjoyed it overall. A 3 hour movie that doesn’t wear out its welcome is quite an accomplishment.

I still lean towards overrated, only because I’ve heard this being described as one of the best films of the century, and I can’t get anywhere close to that. In that regard, I’m reminded of another Nolan movie (The Dark Knight), a very good film that should be nowhere near #3 on IMDB surrounded by 10/10 bangers like Shawshank, 12 Angry Men and Godfather 1 and 2.

I’m torn between 8/10 and 9/10. My gut says 8/10 because I really did not like that beginning at all, but I do feel like I should reward a great finish.

1 Like

I enjoyed watching Oppenheimer in a so-glad-this-was-a-three-hour-exposition-fest-and-not-a-12-hour-prestige-drama sort of way, but it was way weirder then I expected. Didn’t really expect that the central drama of the movie would be the confirmation hearing for the Secretary of Commerce but I like surprises I guess.

Its good to hear it gets better after thirty minutes. My wife and I watched it just about this long before having to do something else on Sunday and I was thinking to myself “maybe I just don’t like Nolan movies. I really disliked Tenet and Inception and Interstellar, and the only ones I even partly enjoyed were Memento, Prestige, and Batman 2: Electric Boogaloo.”

So, at least I can go in expecting the rest to be better than that first 30 minutes

1 Like

Since I hadn’t heard this criticism about the first 30 minutes (the most common complaint seems to be that the final hour is boring, which I disagree entirely with but Many People Are Saying™ it), I was curious and dialed up a stream of it just to flit through the first half-hour to see what you were talking about. It seems like most of this stuff was disposed of in the first five minutes and that it was also intercut with stuff like Oppenheimer/Strauss conversation, setting up the confirmation hearing, and showing the first footage from the administrative security clearance hearing. I get what you’re saying about the star sequence, but it’s so fast that I’m surprised it got under your skin enough to be one of your primary takeaways.

Anyway, glad it turned around well for you beyond that point.

It’s possible I just wasn’t in the right mood to start and that I got less cranky as time went on. I just remember thinking how fake the way everyone seemed to be talking. Maybe if I go back it will seem more normal to me.

But yeah I really hated that star sequence and everything else like it at the beginning. Almost all of the scenes that were “in his mind” and not what was actually happening was a negative for me.

For anyone who never plans to see Madame Web, watch Amanda the Jedi break it down piece by gloriously garbage piece.

Thia really aeems to counter Stuckmann’s “Everything that is wrong with the movie is 100% the studio’s fault” argument. Does Sony have 0 idea what to do with their non-animated Spiderverse? Clearly, but there are some awful, horrendous decisions made in this movie that can not possibly be chalked up to just what the studio did to interfere. There is garbage writing, garbage directing, ADR and scenes that make no sense. The setting of 2003 is random. I dunno, check it out. Fun review.

1 Like

PSA: apparently The Godfather Part II is playing tonight and tomorrow night at Regal Cinemas everywhere (everywhere in the US at least), tickets for $5.

I’ve never seen a Godfather movie on the big screen, so I guess I have no real choice in the matter.

1 Like

sidney sweeney in low rise jeans with a whale tail and a tramp stamp?

I saw this video last night. A second recommend for Amanda.

My favorite part is that she always seems to have so much fun with the dumbest fucking movies. Her series on the Fifty Shades films is outstanding.

1 Like

She really does. If I see she has something bad to say about a movie, I switch to probably watching her video instead of the bad movie I thought might be good.

She saved me from the Hunger Games prequel adaptation. The book twisted into a different story midway, and it sounds like the movie did little to course correct or communicate fundamental character insights.

Ha for real ? I watched this last year and thought it was a clear case of something that was historically important (and I could see why it must have been very influential), but which felt tame (at least visually) by today’s standards.

Thoughts on the release order for the Beatles movies ? (assuming there’s at least a few months between each one, no idea how this is planned)

feels like Ringo cannot be 1 or 4 if they want people to see it, and John is naturally 1 since his story ends earlier, so optimal would be something like

John
George
Ringo
Paul
?

(also my brain always auto-corrects “Sam Mendes” to “Sam Raimi”, so for 24 hours I thought Raimi was going to direct those movies, which would have been more exciting than what we’re actually getting)

Florence Pugh’s best look imo is in Fighting with my Family, a pretty good wrestling movie that seems to be overlooked

1 Like

Could be, I was pretty high at the time.

1 Like

I couldn’t care less about wresting but I loved that movie. I have watched it a couple times.

The reason TDK is good and still great over 15 years later is Ledger. You get a GOAT level villain performance, rest is whatever.

I dont even know what 21st century villain performances are on that level. Chigurh is the easy one, but I think Ledger still does a better job.

3 Likes

Shit, if they were Raimi movies Id be all in

2 Likes

This is critically important for comic book movies (and comic books). Good comic villains are an order of magnitude more interesting than good heroes. In fact, their motivations are often more human and more relatable. The classic Batman Animated Series was great at this, they presented the villains mostly quite sympathetically and Batman’s motivation was really to contain the resultant damage more than to punish the evil doers.

1 Like

Wrestling movies (movies about wrestling, not movies starring wrestlers) seem to generally be pretty great.

The Wrestler, Fighting with my Family, and (based on what ive read) The Iron Claw are all really good to great.