Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

i was debating beekeeper or one love last night, ended up not going to either but was going to do beekeeper and this reinforces my decision lol, might go tonight to beekeeper.

1 Like

Iā€™ve devoted posts to mocking both, but I do think Beekeeper probably offers you the better chance of being entertained and I have it as the slightly better (less bad) movie of the two.

Iā€™m going to be crestfallen if Drive-Away Dolls is bad, though I fear it may be merely decent. Definitely seeing it on Thursday night though.

2 Likes

Me too. Only 84 minutes tho, so itā€™ll be sweet and quick regardless. Hoping for the best. It was edited by Ethan, so Iā€™m thinking the short runtime is a good sign.

1 Like

The thing is that this film is very specifically about the atrocities being masterminded against them, and I feel like not knowing the level of their suspicion toward our POV villains is one of the things that works in the filmā€™s favor.

It clearly tells an implied story about Mollyā€™s suspicion of Ernest. What heā€™s actually doing is so unthinkable that she wonā€™t entertain it at first. She loves him, and her brain would do whatever gymnastics it possibly could to never own it. For a long time, the closest we see her come is her conversation with a priest where she first strongly hints her full-on suspicion, but even then she canā€™t bring herself to speak the full allegation out loud. I try to game out the concept of spending more time in the Osage POV, and Iā€™m not at all convinced that more conversations among the Osage that spell out the arc of their suspicion would be helpful to the final story.

3 Likes

ā€œBetter than the originalā€ is doing a lot of work. Pretty much everyone died so a whole cast.

I suggest Braveheart vs Gladiator, like Alien vs Predator.

1 Like

They may take our lives, but theyā€™ll never takeā€¦OUR SEQUELS!!1!

2 Likes

Other performers attached to star in Gladiator 2 include Denzel Washington, Matt Lucas, Paul Mescal, Joseph Quinn, Tim McInnerny, and Pedro Pascal.

That cast tho

And Ridley so there is hope.

1 Like

Iā€™m cautiously optimistic. As long as the script is good, weā€™ll get a good movie. Maybe even something great.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1760044377932525823?t=L70DeVIsBdbXJhHajZ_sDg&s=19

hypehypehypehype

6 Likes

Early reviews are promising. I think it will rock.

To be fair itā€™s cathartic to see the Supreme Court building blown up. Not that it should be blown up in a not civil war.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1759941222125195555?t=_bj0I_IMWOufC5YEsfLqhg&s=19

1 Like

Gotta love a county making a movie about a fictitious civil war mere months from when a real one is highly likely.

I donā€™t know if I can watch this. Iā€™m scared shitless of outright warfare between Texas the feds or whatever.

So yall never rewatch ā€œChildren of Men?ā€ That is peak terror and vision.

1 Like

1 Like

Thatā€™s a funny post but ā€œthe pandemic is overā€ triggers me. Those takes always trigger me. Am I dumb? Maybe, idk

Peeping Tom (1960) looked interesting but I had to bail out early. Too disturbing, too edgy4me. I might revisit in October when Iā€™m more in the mood for a creepy serial killer show.

Switched over to Lured (1947), fantastic movie. Classy, dense noir detective movie in which Lucille Ball is a dance girl who becomes an undercover detective (quite natrually) and then defeats miniboss Boris Karloff before going on to crack the case of the creepy sex poet killer. Looks fantastic, well shot, Lucille is a gem, sassy af. Must-see if you like old-timey noir.

I love listening to Scorsese talk about his craft.