Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

3 Likes

If you let your guard down and stop being the Strict Dad for just one second, Arabs will abduct your daughter into a sexual slavery ring and the European police won’t help because they’re too woke. This movie is shameless about pandering to middle-aged dads and that’s why it’s so compelling.

2 Likes

Taken is a proud pleasure for me. Taken 2 was exactly the sequel we deserved. But then I can’t explain just how bad Taken 3 is. A stunning wtf.

It just makes sense that the Albanian sex traffickers are going to abduct teenage girls by snatching them out of expensive hotels in Paris instead of just grabbing homeless teens in Albania that no one will try to find. I love this movie so much. It’s absolutely clear from the get-go that the police aren’t going to jack shit because they’re French, there is big post-9/11 dad energy in this movie.

I should watch the other Takens maybe but I don’t see how they can match the vibe of the original.

1 Like

Liam calls Maggie’s ex-boyfriend to prank threaten him.

1 Like

Part 2 is great. Please watch it :popcorn:

I think I saw Taken in the theater and was really surprised how hard it went. Liam shooting the French guy in the leg omg.

1 Like

Was just a rehash of Jack Bauer, tbh

1 Like

New watches:

Saltburn - I liked it but also agree with others ITT on the ending somewhat

Asteroid city- meh

The Thing 1982 - freakin great

Just turned on crimes of the future which I didn’t know had my boy viggo in it

2 Likes

Asteroid City had the best scene of any film in 2023.

The dialogue, music, acting and how it wraps up the entire film is perfect.

Honorable mentions go to the gym scene in Oppenheimer and the afterlife scene in KOTFM.

I don’t have a super clear winner for best scene of the year, but my first impulse is to submit the argument scene between the married couple in Anatomy of a Fall.

2 Likes

I thought that scene was sweet but I’m guessing there’s more to it?

I still havent gotten to past live or anatomy of a fall myself and could see those two having something.

1 Like

Past Lives waiting for a taxi.

Amen.

My high school drive in years.

Plus Cat People, Conan the Barbarian, an American Werewolf in London. Buddy had to go on IR for baseball. Was holding hands with his date when they sliced open the Panther in Cat People. She screamed and yanked their arms back and strained his shoulder.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3

8/10

Really what a Marvel movie franchise should be. Give a director who enjoys some characters and let him guide the franchise over a couple of movies, instead of the director for hire scheme. After a few movies, sure the threads are a little bare and starting to show, but the characters have grown and grown on you that you don’t mind and you feel a little bit at the end knowing it’s over.

4 Likes

Oh man going to see american fiction tmw, past lives Friday and anatomy of a fall Sunday

Didn’t get to see memory before it left sadly

2 Likes

Wow that is a sick run. Three of the best this year.

I went into Ikarie XB-1 on Criterion not knowing what to expect, rather enjoyed it. It’s a bit like if the Soviet Bloc made their own version of Star Trek: big, optimistic 60’s sci-fi, amazing set design, lots of fun imaginings of what space travel would be like in the future. Plot is mostly a series of vignettes about life on board a deep space exploration voyage. Looks consistently fantastic considering the budget and the technology of the time; I’m told it was a big influence on Kubrick’s 2001. Would maybe recommend for film nerds who are also into classic sci-fi.

When I first heard about this I thought it was the dumbest idea ever but seeing this poster I’m like hmmmmmmmm……