Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

If you amended “not bad” to “not terrible” and bolded and underlined the “a bit of a wasted premise,” I would agree.

This has Paul Mescal in it, who has been showing up in several things I’ve watched recently. I don’t know much about his career prior to the last couple years but I suspect he’s going places.

The two movies I saw him in recently were Aftersun, which was just a movie about a father on vacation with his teenage daughter. Slow and sad. Don’t want to say anything else.

Then a couple weeks ago some indie sci-fi movie called Foe showed up on Prime with he and Soairse Ronan. It has a 5.4 on imdb but I feel it’s more deserving of a ~7 just because of the two lead performances. I was hooked in that one from start to finish.

1 Like

I’ve avoided Foe because the reviews are consistently really bad and I can’t stand the thought that they signed up a lead duo of Saoirse Ronan and Paul Mescal and found a way to squander it that badly. I guess maybe I’ll give it a go sometime. Am definitely a fan of both. In the meantime, it sounds like Ronan has more good stuff in the pipeline for this year. Was just reading about one called The Outrun that debuted to a good reaction at Sundance, and also I think another movie called Blitz is maybe supposed to be 2024 and sounds promising.

3 Likes

It’s a bummer because the premise is so good.

Yeah the story was fine, not great, but the two leads turned in great performances. That’s enough for me to spend 90 minutes with and not be mad about it

1 Like

Yeah, I saw the preview before Godzilla, and thought… oooooooo, that could be goooood.

Bummer to hear its not

I am interested in Foe, but it seems very similar in premise to a recent Black Mirror episode.

He’s in normal people which I liked

The 5.4 turned me away the other day.

1 Like

Dammit, for science I’ll probably have to try it now.

2 Likes

Great success. Glad to hear that Past Lives has the broader appeal that I suspected it might have. Will be criminal if it isn’t in the BP nominees in a couple of days.

7 Likes

Now I probably have to watch it. 5.4 and below is like catnip to me.

2 Likes

Alright I watched it. I’m sure low expectations helped, but yeah it’s certainly not bad, I never would have guessed this would have such a low IMDb. Feels like the sort of movie that would slot into the 6.5-6.8 range on there. I guess I should just officially trust that it’s worth seeing any project Saoirse Ronan does.

2 Likes

Whew! Now i feel redeemed saying it deserved a ~7. Glad you ~liked it.

Somehow hadnt watched this before but Broadcast News is fucking delightful

1 Like

Probably my very favorite Albert Brooks film of a strong crop. Have you watched Modern Romance yet?

Not sure how it got suggested to me yesterday and I fully expected to fast forward through it because I feared it will be a lengthy 2hrs but in the end I watched “Where the Crawdads Sing” in full. Maybe because this life feels kinda appealing to me at this point in my life. In the end it was suspenseful and relaxing enough for a Sunday evening before the work week starts anew.

1 Like

I adored Tron: Legacy but I guess my hope for a direct continuation isn’t gonna happen. That also owed a huge debt to Jeff Bridges reprising his role(s).

This sounds so damn good. Would hit the same spot as Wild.

1 Like

Man, Taken is such a guilty pleasure for me, it’s dumb and problematic af in all kinds of ways but also it’s so effective at tapping into lizard-brain dad anxiety. Within ten minutes I’m fully invested in seeing Liam Neeson go goblin mode. That jerk stepdad bought Liam’s daughter A HORSE for her birthday, what a gut punch. Liam has basically no choice but to unleash violence.

2 Likes