Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

The only thing I think it didn’t nail is how her novel was different from his. The conversation they had was good but I think it missed a bit in clearly showing the differences.

For anyone doubting if they might like American Fiction it’s a first time film from a guy with a pretty sick tv writing career!

1 Like

Nick Cage is only 60, would have defintely taken the over there.

I was very much a fan of the movie, but it worked better for me as a comedy than as anything else. In terms of straddling the line between seriousness and humor, I do think it leaned into broad characters in a way that takes some bite off the satire. If you’re roasting characters that most of the audience won’t really identify too closely with, the satire loses impact IMO.

But all of my quibbles with the movie are just why it “only” lands as a four-star movie to me, and I mean it as a big compliment when I give something four stars.

2 Likes

That’s a damn impressive list.

Never seen Master of None or Succession, but The Good Place and Watchmen are elite level shows and Severn City Airport was the best episode of Station Eleven.

2 Likes

The final season of Master of None is incredible. It focuses on a lesbian couple instead of Aziz, one of whom is played by Lena Waithe.

And then season two has a great side-character episode that features a great section creating the cinematic experience of being deaf.

I’m really looking forward to American Fiction.

1 Like

Wow Threads hit a lot harder than I was expecting. Worth seeing if you want some truly bleak post-apocalyptic shit.

https://x.com/criterionchannl/status/1744086700568055827?s=20

1 Like

https://x.com/jasonjoyride/status/1744043873025036424

The Peloton instructor does like Nolan’s top-level stuff anyway.

“I may not have understood a minute of what was going on in ‘Tenet.’ That shit went right over my head,” Sherman said. “But I have seen ‘Oppenheimer’ twice. And that’s six hours of my life that I don’t ever want to give back.”

She won a Golden Globe tonight for this part now. (Giamatti won as well.)

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ElSergioMunoz/status/1744412708236083638

4 Likes

Finished my first full viewing of The GOATfather.

That ending, wow, letting him live just long enough to believe it.

2 Likes

I take it that it may have clicked this time?

1 Like

Yes, I liked it. I think it helps that I powered through The Sopranos. Same vibes.

Awesome. It will continue to reward repeat viewings. Honestly it took me until I read the book to really get that Sonny straight-up got his father shot by speaking out of turn in the Sollozzo meeting. That might have just been dim of me to miss, but they play it pretty subtly in the movie.

1 Like

When my son was around 12/13 and starting to watch the odd horror flick he asked me what the scariest film I’d ever seen was. I said Threads. When he asked what it was about he seemed pretty non-plussed. No slasher shit I guess.

You read the book too? Damn you’re a straight up fan. I didn’t catch that either, thanks for explaining.

Well on to Godfather II. First ten minutes are already the equivalent of Alien to Aliens. Lots of action.

My answer for this is always Jesus Camp.

4 Likes

Coolest thing from the book that was rearranged in the movie:

The Bonasera “you may owe me a favor” thing from the opening scene has a more dramatic payoff. They give him a POV chapter. He’s demanded to show up with no context. He spends a chapter freaking out about the likelihood that they’re going to use him to hide a body or something. Chapter closes out with him being led into the room of - revealing this new fact for the first time to the reader - the dead body of Sonny Corleone. And then the next chapter explains how he died. Thought that was a really cool way to do it in book form even though the movie rearrangement was wise.

Anyway, enjoy Part II.

1 Like

Oh wow. That’s neat to hear Mario was as good as his reputation.

Have you read other stuff by Puzo? I always wanted to read his script for Superman. Apparently it was dark as hell before the Newmans took on rewrites.