Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Godzilla Minus One was pretty good. It’s like a B-movie with a big budget and a great script.

4 Likes

This made me more likely to watch Holdovers.

Reflecting on his time making the original “Heat,” which starred Val Kilmer, he smiles. “I could not figure out how Val Kilmer could tolerate being Val Kilmer,” he says. “In any scene, an actor and director do scene analysis. What is the action or what does this character want? Sometimes, it’s in the text; sometimes, it’s in the subtext. Val would have seven or eight different reactions and modalities, every one of which was great. I couldn’t imagine having such artistic range and depth — more than it’s possible to control.”

3 Likes

Watched the first few minutes of Saltburn last night. Felt tired and went to sleep. Nothing grabbed me. Should I continue or bail?

1 Like

I’m actually not sure whether I’d recommend. I gave it 3/5.

Speaking only to my experience: hooking you relatively early is the one thing it should be able to do. In the end I don’t think it’s a good movie, but I never found it dull. If you did, even to start, outlook for continuing isn’t super bright.

1 Like

0 Rosamund Pike didn’t help.

Lotsa sports the rest of the weekend. Prolly just let it lie.

Thanks.

1 Like

Watched Tár and enjoyed it, very well made and interesting movie.

Question for those who have seen it :

Did you actually notice the “ghosts appearances” while watching it ?
(see for instance here if you don’t know what I’m talking about)

Even though I vaguely knew that there was something like this and was paying attention, I didn’t see them and had to go back (with the help of the above link).

So while I like the idea of having subtle things like this (whether they’re meant to be literal or not doesn’t really matter much imo, we’re always seeing things from the character’s pov anyway), I’m not sure if they were meant to be seen in real time (maybe even unconsciously ?) , or if this was planted as “easter eggs” to create online discussion. would really hate if this was the latter.

1 Like

My hot take is that the whole movie was basically a ghost story.

1 Like

I have seen it three times. Even knowing the ghost story aspects, I still saw it in more literal terms as a woman slowly going insane as her world falls apart.

1 Like

Nice, it’s definitely a movie that made me want to rewatch it soon (which is pretty rare for me).

1 Like

And the first time I thought it was boring! Lol but the second and third time I saw it was a masterpiece. I think I just wasn’t watching at the movie’s pace that first time. I came back because I could tell I was missing something.

1 Like
2 Likes

f17e1e34-898b-4170-850f-03647a0e4f58_text

Point taken. I tried to watch it yesterday but got vetoed. At least I know I like the opening scene.

1 Like

I’ll say that my first viewing got a reaction from me of, “Meh, that was pretty good I guess. Probably need to watch it again sometime to really get it all.” Wouldn’t have gone so far as “boring,” but I wasn’t effusive about it. And then I later watched it with a couple of friends who pointed out things that fully unlocked the movie for me, and I became…well, what I am today. (Which is, among other things, a person who tries to replicate what my friends did for me, thus leading me to be the butt of the Barbie joke. But I appreciate that joke. Honest.)

1 Like

You have the edge for commentary then. I’ll be forced to rely on my own wit and recalled references from other movies.

https://twitter.com/joerussotweets/status/1744126832683921721

8 Likes

American Fiction (2023)

This is the funniest movie I’ve seen in years. It’s the best satire I’ve seen in years. Finally, it’s one of the best family dramas I’ve seen in years.

I absolutely loved everything about this. It’s genius. It perfectly weaves two movies into one complete whole. I was laughing loudly one minute then tearing up the next.

I have been chuckling off and on for hours since I left the theatre.

Just perfection.

Grade: A+

2 Likes

Monk demanding that his book be renamed “FUCK” with the ultimatum of killing the deal was the hardest I laughed at any single scene all year. Incredible. Like you, I kept thinking about it intermittently afterward and breaking out laughing all over again.

I would also call this the funniest movie of 2023 if Bottoms hadn’t happened.

2 Likes

100% me too. I started feeling embarrassed how hard I was laughing at that then I realized everyone else was gut laughing too.