Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I didn’t really like Pearl so you probably won’t agree with my Mia take. I’m not saying she’s a hack or anything I guess I just don’t really enjoy watching her on screen.

2 Likes

For some reason I enjoyed X but couldn’t finish Pearl.

I think it was the period of it that gave me trouble. I loved the aesthetic and grittiness of the 70’s set X, but Pearl felt way too slick for something set in the late 10’s. I dunno, I had trouble with it as well. A flashforward to the 80’s with a VHS feel is much more appealing to me.

3 Likes

I liked X and Ti West’s whole vibe but I didn’t like trying to make X into a cinematic universe.

1 Like

X had that gritty 70s aesthetic, Maxxxine will be the neon 80’s and Pearl was a homage to the Technicolor Wizard of Oz days of Hollywood. I really liked both.

2 Likes

Not sure I would call it a cinematic universe when it’s largely centered around one (well two, I suppose) character and her obsessive desire and drive to be famous.

I guess I would ask “why”? What didn’t you like about the approach?

https://x.com/IndieWire/status/1743369307763978408?s=20

:vince:

4 Likes

I think this is the same one he’s been making for over 20 years? I have a bit of difficulty getting overly excited about this since he hasn’t released a great film since Apocalypse Now in 1979, but I would still definitely plan to check it out.

3 Likes

Agree, although I do like his Dracula but I wouldn’t call it great. Just very watchable.

I have no idea what to expect from Megalopolis. Obviously a passion project and he sunk a ton of his own money into it. I want it to be great…

1 Like

No love for The Outsiders??

1 Like

I like his Dracula too. It’s a smorgasbord of scenery chewing.

1 Like

I admittedly haven’t seen that one. But that would still be a 40-year gap.

I mean, I’m rooting for this. I’d be over the moon if he nailed it. But my immediate reaction just isn’t one of a ton of excitement.

1 Like

:skull:

3 Likes

Dunkey is the man. His Mario Odyssey video is a top ten hype train.

There are three chances to see the 85th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz at the end of January on the big screen if you can access a Fathom Events screening near you

1 Like

I still fucking love this scene.

2 Likes

:sob::sob::sob:

If you replace the bullets with batarangs, Jack Reacher is a top five Batman movie.

Tron: Legacy and Top Gun: Maverick are essentially the same movie.

The Caine Mutiny Court Martial, on Paramount Plus, caught me off-guard by being as great as it was. Captivating as hell basically from the jump. I approve of Jason Clarke pumping out two strong lawyer performances (this one a lot more beefed up than his Oppenheimer role; he’s the closest thing to the lead character here) in 2023. Kiefer Sutherland at first seemed like an odd choice for his part as an officer in a military legal drama, just given how distinctly he is tied to A Few Good Men. Then, as he got going in the performance, I didn’t know WTF to think of his acting choices with this. By the end I really appreciated all of what he brought to the table.

This was just released straight to streaming in October, it appears. If I had seen it earlier, it would have been in my top 20 of the year. I give it a 4/5.

1 Like

https://nickriccardo.medium.com/astoria-on-film-revisiting-the-locations-of-goodfellas-30-years-later-d1ecb0ea3722

2 Likes