Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I had a similar experience in Mississippi with the first live action Mortal Kombat, then once again much later with Django Unchained.

Same for me with The Color Purple just recently. Definitely a cool theater atmosphere.

1 Like

In defense of ā€œlong,ā€ I will say that it does feel to me like the time spent on an epic like The Irishman, spanning the significant passage of time in charactersā€™ lives, almost feels like it enhances the emotional impact as things wind down. I admittedly sat down to the Irishman with a plan of two hours one day and the remainder the next day (thus undermining the artistic vision of the film, but Iā€™m mere flesh and blood). However, it drew me in enough that I just hammered through the whole thing. I found myself glad at the end of it that I didnā€™t watch it in chapters; the long sit felt like it was to the movieā€™s benefit since it was so well-executed, and I feel like I might have appreciated it less if I had broken it up aside from short bathroom breaks.

All of that said, I agree with econophile that Killers of the Flower Moon feels like the breezier movie even though itā€™s of similar length to The Irishman.

2 Likes

:nodrake: warching a 3-hour movie in one sitting

:yesdrake: binge watching 4 hour-long episodes of a tv show

3 Likes

I went to see Jungle Fever in a theater just outside of Ft. Gordon in Augusta, GA.

1 Like

Oh ye of little faith, itā€™s doing way better than that.

1 Like

Love it. Sorry James, I generally go in for your shit but Im probably gonna pass on this one

1 Like

Itā€™s up to 35% now with 14/44 positive reviews.

And with praise like this, who needs a fresh score lol

1 Like

Christopher Nolan was accepting an award and told a story about doing a brutal Peloton workout when the instructor suddenly started ripping one of his movies. The internet activated and quickly found the clip. Extremely amusing to think that heā€™s gasping for air and then starts hearing this.

https://x.com/nextbestpicture/status/1742735892324700514?s=46&t=MZ6hDo7KHLKIDL2qeG0oqg

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1743054404532503025?s=46&t=MZ6hDo7KHLKIDL2qeG0oqg

3 Likes

I like that sheā€™s saying it in perfect ā€˜peleton voiceā€™

1 Like

Iā€™m late to the party but my favorite movie of 2023 was Killers of the Flower Moon, tho I still havenā€™t seen Godzilla. Iā€™ll say my favorite 2023 movie that a lot of people didnā€™t see was Infinity Pool, big recommend if you like indie horror. Iā€™m becoming a big Brandon Cronenberg stan.

Also, I donā€™t know who needs to hear this but Wizard of Oz is a fantastic rewatch if you need something family-friendly. Well-crafted, impossible not to love, Margaret Hamilton is an absolute beast, just brings it in every scene, one of the all-time greatest movie supervillains.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/corpseflwer/status/1743122389423022379?t=fbxj2KxsUVx_SFdSPvYptw&s=19

Donā€™t really think Iā€™ve heard Paul Giamatti be interviewed before, but heā€™s highly enjoyable this week on Maron.

1 Like

I watched Possessor (i think you recommended it) and really liked it so subsequently watched Infinity Pool when it also came to Hulu. Gotta agree with your Brandon Cronenberg praise. Heā€™s not gonna be for everyone but I dig it.

https://twitter.com/PyrasTerran/status/1743112244055941351?t=JZDjRJx5YQzN-BLmGTEv6Q&s=19

2 Likes

Probably a very hot take but Infinity Pool would have been better with a different actress playing Mia Gothā€™s character, i am not a fan of hers.

Her yelling James over and over again with that terrible voice is seared in my brain and not in a good way.

2 Likes

My dad took my brother and I to see the original Total Recall at a theater in a Black neighborhood. Best theater experience of my life. I was 14, my brother was 11.

This scene was the best. People standing up yelling, ā€œSHOOT THE BITCH! SHOOT THE BITCH!ā€

4 Likes

Iā€™m going to try and catch Infinity Pool this weekend, itā€™s been on my watchlist for a while and never got around it. I liked Possessor and Iā€™ve always been a fan of the Cronenberg family body horror.

I knew nothing about Mia Goth prior to seeing Pearl and she was a powerhouse in the film. Her performance as well as Emma Stoneā€™s in Poor Things are the two that really stuck with me this year. It was awards worthy imo but Pearl is a horror movie so thatā€™s never going to happen.

I have not seen her in anything else so Iā€™m curious if Iā€™ll appreciate her less in Infinity Pool or if the Pearl love remains undiminished.

1 Like

Pearl was the prequel to X, which she was also in.

2 Likes

Iā€™m aware. Maxxxine, the third in the trilogy, should be out this year sometime.

After surviving a massacre in X, Maxine (Mia Goth) moves to Los Angeles in the early 1980s to pursue her dreams of becoming a famous actress.

Teaser Trailer

1 Like