Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Finally saw Poor Things.

It’s my second favourite film of the year for sure. It’s so weird and wonderful. It’s as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face which I mean in the most admiring way possible.

Stone is a genius. Full stop.

It’s also the most sex work positive film I’ve ever seen.

Funny. Creepy, Insightful. Sexy. Gross. Brilliant.

Grade: A+

1 Like

I’m honestly not sure I’ve ever seen a better performance than Emma in Poor Things. Ever.

I really kind of hate making such extreme proclamations, which is why I’m hedging with “I’m honestly not sure,” but I’m trying and struggling to come up with one. Feels like I would at least have to go back as far as Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood ~15 years ago.

2 Likes

Agree. The subtly of how she used expressions is unreal. It’s also a role that would utterly fail if the actor winked or let off the peddle at all. Stone fully commits in every second.

I also didn’t mention my favourite line of the year.

We are our own means of production.

Heh that comment was the final push I needed to make me watch Barbie…It’s definitely fine for what it is, and it’s great that young viewers are exposed to this kind of feminist message, but in the end it’s still a Barbie doll movie, and I’m not sure why a billion people had to see it.

Let’s just say that the fact that so much talent/money is spent on making children movies (in a broad sense) is also a pretty clear sign that the Hollywood 70’s are not happening again any time soon.

1 Like

Been on a Jennifer Tilly kick lately. “Bullets Over Broadway” the other day, and I just finished watching “Let it Ride” with her and Richard Dreyfuss. Oh my good golly! She is just ridiculously cute in that movie, I had never seen it before. Kinda suited my mood too, I’ve been on a bit of a heater lately.

2 Likes

1 Like

Let it Ride is great!

Lol, nailed it. I predict a 22 RT score

2 Likes

It’s such a dumb idea for a movie. How does this get green lit?

Because it’s Blumhouse, which seems to greenlight most high concept horror/suspense films as long as you can hit a $10-$15 million budget. Even with bad reviews, they’ll probably double their money (which they will use to fund the next flick)

2 Likes

Ya that makes sense.

For sure. And I’m okay with that. There’s even an audience who thinks it’s good.

https://twitter.com/70scorleone/status/1742439703977279775?t=ZW-1k6ztQv0oOIktE1-6Tw&s=19

1 Like

I wasn’t as exuberant about Get Out as everyone else was. After watching Us, I was tempted to declare that I’m simply not intelligent enough to get on Jordan Peele’s wavelength, and I was reluctant to actually give Nope a go. But I found Nope a LOT more accessible and enjoyable than Us. Now I’m looking forward to whatever Peele gives us next.

That said, I would appreciate it if he would go back to his movie titles being at least two words. I’ll sound like a weirdo if I’m in an in-person convo and saying shit like, “I don’t like Us. I like Nope.”

2 Likes

I saw Get Out in a diverse near Atlanta suburb. Lots of energy in the theater elevated the experience. Not a watch it home alone movie (at least the first time).

3 Likes

Flower Moon will be available to stream for free (if you have Apple TV+) starting next Friday.

3 Likes

I’ll block a weekend. (The Irishman was a real slog for me, saw it a arthouse theater).

I can appreciate the art but gawd it was long for the sake of being long.

This one is easier to take in one sitting than The Irishman imo

I saw Boyz n the Hood at the Brywood $1 theater in Kansas City, which is generally very diverse. But apparently all the white people got the memo to sit this one out, leaving us as the only white kids in the packed theater. It heightened the experience for sure. Still one of my favorite movies.

1 Like