Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

eh, that one’s more of a joke. The difference being, the folks who worked on Point Break actually took the time and effort to learn about the sport, make some jumps, get real footage, and bond with the Perris skydiving community.

Drop Zone was a few stunt people doing jumps and a whole lot of green screen, and not nearly the same amount of dedication as shown by the PB guys.

Skydivers still consider Patrick Swayze one of our own. I don’t think Wesley Snipes ever even visited.

1 Like

A more modern movie that will reach Point Break levels of legendary in the skydiving world is Mission Impossible: Fallout, for many of the same reasons. Tom Cruise trained, got his license, and they did over 100 practice jumps to get that scene right. It was filmed by one of my good friends and a ton of SoCal skydivers worked on the movie.

2 Likes

NCFOM was too murky and confusing for me

what were you confused about?

Fuck yeah

NCFOM did nothing for me. Boring. I’ve read the entire McCarthy and most of it twice.

TWBB is fantastic.

Why did Chugarth kill the guys at the beginning? What did they do to violate his code?

I was totally confused about the motel room where Brolin hid the suitcase. I didn’t realize it was the same motel until he was up in the air duct trying to retrieve his suitcase. I couldn’t figure out why the Mexicans were waiting in some random motel. Maybe I’m just dumb on that.

How is Woody Harrelson some badass cleaner of cleaners but gets immediately caught by Chugarth then begs for his life?

I was completely confused by the ending that Chugarth was waiting behind the door when Tommy Lee Jones was in the room. Or was he? I couldn’t tell what was happening at the same time and what was happening in different times.

Chugarth getting hit by the car at the end seemed like some random thing that made no sense. Like well he can’t just drive away scot-free. Let’s have him get hurt.

Some other stuff I can’t remember.

The Rewatchables podcast on this had a lot of things like “Well yeah this random thing made no sense, but that’s like real life” which you could apply to literally anything.

2 Likes

I watched Gran Turismo last night. It was not bad. It has a 98% audience score on rotten tomatoes which seems a little high but the movie was enjoyable for the most part. If you’ve been passing this one over like I had been, I don’t think you will regret it to give it a watch.

That the one about the kid (late teens early twentys) that wins a video game tournament and gets to race for real?

yes. Based on a true story.

There are clearly parts to the story that they try to “moviefy”, if you know what I mean, that is kind is eye rolling but I think overall the movie was good. It’s not award winning or anything but I think it’s an OK watch that most people will enjoy.

What a nightmare it was trying to repair the M&E of that movie back in 1999. It was a very poor surround mix, LCRS at that time, that took insane chances at the reel breaks because the mixers thought they were cool and geniuses. They may have been cool and geniuses but their choices were not. Just massive surround mistakes all over the place because they never considered anything but the movie theater environment. If you ever catch a home video release in another language it probably features all that repair work. Still definitely one of the more fun movies I got to watch over and over while working.

2 Likes

Chigurh gets arrested and kills the cop at the beginning just to see if he can get himself out of the predicament by force of will. This is book ended when he gets hit by the car at the end by showing he is not all powerful. He is guilty as much of anyone of vanity. He violated his own code and paid for it with the universe reminding him who is in control.

Sheriff Bell went into a room next to where Chigurh was sitting. I think. But the point of it is that Bell enters an empty room and realizes he is way overmatched. This is no country for old men.

2 Likes

Is this stuff explained in the book?

2 Likes

Yes

https://twitter.com/beepupkin/status/1741490217750864233?t=-aI5zh1L4gPj98vtcOt-eg&s=19

2 Likes

The godfather : part 2

Will a movie as good as this be made in our lifetimes again ? Probably not, but at least we can watch this one every 10 years and be blown away each time by how perfect it is.

(3h20 seems like a long time for a movie so we were planning to watch it in 2 parts…but it’s so good that we couldn’t stop it and time just flew by…first time in a while that I was still awake for the new year, and saw the fireworks in the Italian city we’re staying at…thanks Coppola !)

5 Likes

Don’t worry about anything Frankie five angels - Godfather 2 (youtube.com)

Pentangeli: “Those were the great old days, Tom. And we was like The Roman Empire. The Corleone Family was like The Roman Empire.”
Tom (wistfully): “It was once.”

The Corleones really hadn’t lost any power at this point, but Tom of all people could always read the tea leaves.

Pentangeli: “They went home, sat in the hot bath, opened up their veins, and bled to death. And sometimes they had a little party before they did it.”
Tom: [casually tosses his spent cigar away, silently clocking, “he gets it.”]
Tom: “Don’t worry about anything, Frankie Five Angels.”
Frankie: “Thanks, Tom. Thanks.”

I’m just forever obsessed with this scene.

3 Likes

I love the godfather series but that damn Barbie scene has permanently infected me. lol.

As I pretty well suspected after seeing that Barbie joke, Greta Gerwig herself of course loves The Godfather and was just having a bit of fun at the expense of, well, people like me.

“It’s a masterpiece”: Greta Gerwig Confirms $291M Al Pacino Cult-Hit Inspired Barbie (fandomwire.com)

After discussing the long list of movies that inspired the making of Barbie, Greta Gerwig mentioned, “I touched on all of them except for The Godfather.” Leaving out the best for the last, the director mentioned her authentic love and appreciation for Al Pacino‘s $291M movie. Confessing to be a fan of the cult classic, Gerwig stated, “We all know why The Godfather was in there,”

“Because it’s a triumph of Robert Evans’ and [Francis Ford] Coppola’s aesthetic genius. It was so fun to watch again. It’s the best ever; it’s a masterpiece.” Greta Gerwig explained her reasons.

1 Like

You have to love something to really hit it where it hurts. :grin:

Watched Killer of the flower moon. So depressing.