Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

2 Likes

The criticism is that its maybe a top 5-10 movie of the last 20 years, but still imo should not have won best picture.

We did a poll here this year on TWBB vs NCFOM and I think no country won with ~55% though.

1 Like

I think it’s legit impossible for the Academy to have gone wrong in any significant way there as long as they gave it to one of those films. They’re both basically perfect and I have zero hesitation to give five stars to both.

I’d vote for NCFOM to get the award if forced, but it’s rotten luck for TWBB to turn up on a year like that instead of a year when it could have properly crushed.

2 Likes

I think TWBB might stick the landing in a more universally accessible way simply because it offers a kind of final confrontation between antagonists, whereas NCFOM has Bell open the door to an empty hotel room.

For me, NCFOM and TWBB were my Barbenheimer. Hard to present a better double feature.

1 Like

I actually think of NCFOM as the more accessible of the two even though it definitely has the more ambiguous ending. The story pushes along in a way that I expect a higher share of audiences would be engaged with. TWBB is a silent film for the first 20 minutes or so, and then you watch Plainview go around engaging in land acquisitions. To be clear, I think both of the things I just named make for glorious viewing, and just typing them makes me want to start another rewatch of the movie right this minute, but I definitely expect that a broad swath of the public would go “WTF am I watching?”

As accessibility goes, I just lean toward grading based on what will hook the audience to watch the whole way. I do agree that the NCFOM ending surely caused more grumbling though.

3 Likes

I think NCFOM is way more watchable/accessable. I watched TWBB once and that was enough for me.

1 Like

I’m the opposite. NCFOM was too murky and confusing for me, and dark. TWBB has DRAAAAAAAAAINAGE!!!

1 Like

That’s a good point. Better beginning vs better ending. Let’s call it a draw. Or we can flip for it.

2 Likes

Cinema at the highest level imo

1 Like

I thought this was a visually beautiful film, but I definitely have very little idea of what I watched. I did kind of like it for whatever I was able to get from it though.

yeah dude is hyper elite at roasting anyone and everyone

LKJ I regret to inform you I lost all interest in watching The Holdovers once I watched the trailer. Does not look like it’s for me. I said so to my SO and she said “oh thank god.” Guess it’s not for her either lol. I’m surprised because Sideways and Descendants were very much to my taste.

I think both NCFOM and Oppenheimer are more accessible than TWBB/KOTFM but the latter two are slightly better. Less rewatchable imo though.

1 Like

I mean it wasn’t super high on my list for the year, so I don’t have the emotional attachment necessary to be brokenhearted about that, but it does seem like almost every Alexander Payne fan would like it. That said, the trailer is not misrepresentative of the movie, so maybe it’s the right call.

Sideways > The Holdovers > The Descendants IMO.

1 Like

Fair enough. At a glance, one reason why I loved Sideways was Virginia Madsen and Sandra Oh, and one reason I loved Descendants was Shailene Woodley. The trailer for Holdovers suggested to me more of a boys club cast.

It’s a big three with a woman being one of the three. #3 of 3, granted. Lots of people think Da’Vine Joy Randolph is shipping an Oscar for her performance. It’s a really significant role.

1 Like

NFW

Okay I’ll put it on this week and see if it grabs me.

Oh man, I have so many friends who worked on that movie, including the rigger who still has a few of the parachutes they used, Patrick Swayze’s AFF instructor, and a couple of the stunt performers. That movie and the making of it has reached legendary status in the skydiving community, especially at Perris Valley, where the training and filming was done. Just a bunch of nostalgia all the way down.

Watching Point Break and Fandango are as much a rite of passage in skydiving as your first solo jump or getting your beginners license.

3 Likes

What about this forgotten 90s flick?

Trailer actually does the “in a world…” meme

In “about damn time” news: Past Lives will hit Paramount Plus on 2/2.

2 Likes