Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

number

Canā€™t believe more popular than Shaun of. Will have to check it out!

How many have I seen it? At least 15 at this point. Where it sits on my all time list is harder. Im bad at ranlimg and always forget something but easy top 5

I envy you getting to see it for the first time.

2 Likes

Foolā€™s Paradise

I am a fan of Charlie Day, so was interested to see the first film he starred and directed in. It has an absolutely loaded cast with

Charlie Day
Kate Beckinsale
Adrien Brody
Jason Sudeikis
Ray Liotta
Jason Bateman
Edie Falco
John Malkovich
Dean Morris
Common
Glenn Howerton
Ken Jeong

Charlie Day tries to portray a character along the lines of The Tramp or Peter Sellers in Being There.

One of the most fascinating films I have seenā€¦in the fact it just doesnā€™t work

I think the major problem is Charlie Dayā€™s character in this is pretty much an absolutely empty shell.

1 Like

I think LKJ was simply commenting on your grammar.

1 Like

In the words of Angela Martin: that doesnā€™t sound like me.

1 Like

As it turns out, itā€™s already hitting Prime next Friday.

I mean, as Iā€™ve digested it Iā€™ve grown to feel that even my faint praise for it was probably still too generous, so Iā€™m not really recommending it, but I know youā€™re interested to see it.

1 Like

This certainly is

https://x.com/A24/status/1735298784240759180?s=20

1 Like

Thatā€™s the Kojima game they decide to adapt? Gross. Youā€™re basically a glorified mailman in a post apocalyptic world.

Seems like this came out of nowhere

2 Likes

yeah idk, Iā€™m not too hyped to see A24 doing action movies and video-game tie-ins, even if Kojima is involved and you know Kojima is cooking up some ridiculous stuff

Gotta say, this is one time where a multi-decade gap might make me a bit more willing to give a franchise installment a chance. Original was good, thought part II was a throwaway (Eddie himself agreed), and I think they at least did a part III but I didnā€™t bother with it after the quality of II.

Seeing that they not only have Eddie, but it appears the whole band is back together, makes it intriguing since it creates a lot more space for the characters to get meaningful updates.

I suspect I may owe all of this optimism to the unexpectedly high quality of Cobra Kai.

1 Like

Iā€™m concerned from the trailer that the new Beverly Hills Cop is more of an action movie than a comedy. I know the original is a blend of both, but itā€™s still a comedy at heart. The first half of the trailer makes it look like they did the old ā€œletā€™s take something people liked and make it DARKER.ā€

I assume itā€™s at the initial elevated price, I would either wait till it drops to like a $5 rental or on a streamer. But honestly Iā€™m like that for any movie. The more distance I have from the movie the less I like it personally, had some fun in the moment, but I felt like EF heard the criticism of people hating the ending of PYW and said hold my beer on this one.

1 Like

That sounds like itā€™s for me. Maybe it will complete my trilogy of wtf endings next to No Country for Old Men and Promising Young Woman.

I really appreciated the directorā€™s explanation for the PYW ending when she said any time a woman brings violence into the picture in the real world, things turn catastrophic.

I also think PYW had a great ending after that most controversial scene.

As a fan of the endings of NCFOM and Promising Young Woman: no. This ending to Saltburn sucks.

But Iā€™ll be curious to hear your thoughts when you get a chance to see it.

1 Like

Iā€™ll let you know!

Also wanted to tell you The Filmcast has high praise for Poor Things, calling it one of the bravest roles of Emma Stoneā€™s career. I continue to hope the movie is a better fit for me than the trailer.

I will have an informed opinion of Poor Things ready to clear my throat and utter in approximately 176 hours.

My fear that I could maybe really not like it can honestly only help. I tend to always just let my expectations be whatever they honestly are instead of trying to control them, but low expectations always put you in the best place to like something.

The flip side is that I went into The Holdovers thinking it was a near-lock that I would fucking love it, seemed like something that would land squarely in my wheelhouseā€¦and then I merely liked it. By all means, itā€™s a good movie, and the ending of it moved me. But it unfortunately it landed weaker for me than I was planning on. If I had just gone in blind as a blank slate then I wouldnā€™t have to shake off that part of my reaction. High hopes can be a curse.

1 Like

Youā€™re so cynical about your optimism :smiley:

I havenā€™t heard of The Holdovers, but I can see why you went in with high hopes. I love most of Alexander Payneā€™s movies. I might be the only person in the world to have an irrational preference for Downsizing.