Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Cocktail specifically is just a movie that I process as a true unicorn by being a pretty objectively rough movie that I nonetheless love watching. I’m a really tough sell on “so bad it’s good” or however the hell people try to recommend movies they like but don’t really want to defend.

Frequent exchange:
Me: “how was the movie?”
Person: “well, it was entertaining.”
Me: [nods knowingly, mentally disqualifies movie]

“Entertaining” is the “he’s got a good heart” of movies.

1 Like

Ill defend The Room to my death. Its a wonderful movie

I made that post and then seconds later realized what I had provoked specifically from you. I opted not to make an additional post to try to head it off.

1 Like

My “Time to defend The Room” signal certainly lit up in my brain

Just pretend that the supposedly “smartest humans” are actually just the kids of the richest people, so everyone has to pretend that they’re smart.

Just to bring you up to speed on previous Cocktail discourse:

2 Likes

Cocktail is a terrible movie. Idk why anyone likes it. More Austin Powers spoofs!!!

The Sultan of Swat
As far as pitchers go, Babe Ruth hit more home runs than almost anyone. He was the one exception to the still-uttered axiom that pitchers can’t hit. Every time someone broke his record, he’d break their record right back. Tom Cruise is sort of like the Babe Ruth of movies, especially once you learn the forgotten part of that Babe Ruth world record.

Most players never suffer more than 100 strikeouts in their career. Babe Ruth broke 1,300. He did that with an all-or-nothing approach, earning him yet another of his many nicknames: the King of Strikeouts. You gotta swing hard if you want to hit that many home runs. And you know what they say? The harder you swing…

Here are the ten times Tom Cruise swung so hard, he broke the box office.

Ranked: Ten Worst Tom Cruise Movies (According To Rotten Tomatoes)

Vanilla Sky is way under rated.

I say this every time I get sheets out of the dryer and didn’t remember it was from Stripes. Good movie how does it hold up, probably haven’t seen it in twenty years.

It held up pretty well. Except for all the gay jokes.

1 Like

I just watched the original Austin Powers. FFed through all the quiet moments with him and Liz Hurley. Boring. Dr. Evil still pretty funny.

1 Like

AP1 has some GOAT comedy.

1 Like

Original Austin Powers is still great.

#2: “That also has already happened.”
Dr. Evil: “Shit.”

Second Austin Powers is just 90 minutes of rehashes and bathroom jokes, and I judge the hell out of everyone who likes it. But I will still credit the moment where Tim Robbins laughs at Dr. Evil and mockingly says “I want a billion kajillion dollars!” before resuming laughter. Of all the mirrored jokes that it just trotted back out from the first one, that was the rehash that connected.

3 Likes

I didn’t hate “Far and Away”, and “Days of Thunder” is worth watching just for Nicole Kidman. She’s ridiculously cute in that movie.

1 Like

The Edge of Winter (free with ads on Crackle)

If the movie is half as good as the trailer :astonished:

Would never have seen the trailer if it wasn’t attached to the beginning of my DVD for Don’t Breathe. Now I feel like I missed a monster starring Tom Holland and Joel Kinnaman.

Watched His Girl Friday. It’s fine. As Cary Grant comedies go, it’s not on the level of Bringing Up Baby or Arsenic and Old Lace, but it wasn’t bad.

One of my favorite comedies as a kid, which I discovered over time has no popularity at all, was The Distinguished Gentleman. Eddie Murphy plays a grifter who sees an opening to get on the ballot for U.S. Congress as a third-party candidate running under the same name as the dead incumbent, and wins just based on name recognition. He moves to DC and continues grifting. I rewatched the movie some years ago and it’s nothing special, but I still have a lot of nostalgia for it and there are still some hilarious moments. The clip that I always come back to is him trying to strong-arm his way onto a powerful committee assignment almost immediately upon arrival.

NAACP Impersonation - The Distinguished Gentleman - YouTube

Johnny Mnemonic? lol, is everything okay over there, Criterion?

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1669435407635828743?s=20

But hold up, they buried the lede:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1669435410013986817?s=20

GHOST IN THE SHELL
:vince1:
ZARDOZ
:vince3:
DARK STAR
:vincelaser:

Finally managed to catch this. First third was very boring imo but last third was pure fun so this balances out…
(also I’m 100% sure I would have hated the French remake with famous actors, so thanks for advising me off that months ago !)

Anyway this was fun but not really a horror movie, there’s a few times where this made me wish I was watching the descent or texas chainsaw instead…Just like when I recently watched the “Invisible man”, which was fine, but also had me feeling I should have just put on Halloween 1 or 2 or Malignant…might be time for me to rewatch some horror classics !

:harold:

2 Likes