Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Neither have I. It was one of the biggest flops of the decade.

That’s another crazy thing about 1999. There were so many good movies that otherwise notable events got overlooked or forgotten. Martin Scorsese and Robert Altman both had great movies with major stars released that year that few people even know exist because there was so much else going on.

If I didn’t know it already, I wouldn’t immediately recognize this as an MCU movie.

(Kim’s Convenience is a great show, btw)

(Also, Tony Leung is amazing casting)

Advertising is the worst :weary:

For a cool $50k Kane can be a fan of weed instead of sleds!

2 Likes

My ranking of the 16 movies nominated for one of the 8 top Oscars:

1. Judas and the Black Messiah – This felt like what BlacKKKlansman was supposed to be. A thought-provoking film with a gripping story and elite acting. And it pulled zero punches with regard to the subject matter. A masterpiece all around.
  2. Promising Young Woman – A unique and dark twist on female vulnerability and the MeToo era. Great acting and casting, and an unforgettable final act.
  3. One Night in Miami – Going into this film, I thought that the premise of four unrelated black people meeting in a hotel room was silly. The incredible dialogue that followed quickly captured my attention and never let go. I could have watched Malcolm X and Sam Cooke argue for the entire movie.
  4. The Father – This one is a bit personal for me as my wife’s grandmother had dementia. The writers here either had the same or really did their homework. Great acting performances too.
  5. Sound of Metal – A heartfelt look at deafness in a way that’s never been done before. I appreciated all of the twists and turns that this movie didn’t take.
  6. Minari – A slow paced but gripping movie of the “American Dream”. It’s a simple, organic story that can be both depressing and heartwarming.
  7. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – Great acting and great music. I can’t help but compare a lot of the dialogue to that of One Night in Miami, and this was the weaker of the two.
  8. Borat Subsequent Movie Film – I guess this goes here? It’s so unlike the other films that it’s difficult to place this. I enjoyed it. It wasn’t as strong as the first film.
  9. The White Tiger – It seems like there’s usually some movie that gets weirdly nominated for screenplay and nothing else. Looks like this year it’s The White Tiger. I read the book about a decade ago and it didn’t really hook me. I was much more invested here, despite some tired cliches.
  10. Nomadland – Maybe this should be higher, but part of me is really rebelling against all the awards love this is getting. I’m absolutely floored that this is a favorite for screenplay. It’s the weakest part of the film. The directing is outstanding, but nothing else really is. There are great films this year, and this is way too weak of a movie to get “Sweeps the Oscars” headlines.
  11. The Trial of the Chicago 7 – I’m not as much a fan of Sorkin’s shtick as many. The movie is captivating, but that ending is pure cringe.
  12. Mank – The most Oscar bait-y movie this year. “OMG it’s a movie about a Hollywood writer!” It was decent enough. The acting and cinematography were solid. Screenplay was uninspiring.
  13. Another Round – A well-directed midlife crisis film. Other than that, the script is a little silly and waffles between drama and comedy a bit too sharply for my liking.
  14. Pieces of a Woman – Some solid acting (even from Shia LaBeouf!) and an outstanding opening scene give me hope, but the film falls apart quickly after that.
  15. The United States vs Billie Holiday – Andra Day’s incredible performance is the only thing that’s redeemable about this film, which is otherwise a complete mess.
  16. Hillbilly Elegy – Based on what I’ve heard about the source material, I was expecting political schlock. Either it’s not in the book or Netflix/Ron Howard took it out, because there’s hardly any political message here. That said, this movie sucks for other reasons. It’s a nonsensical coming of age movie with cookie cutter characters that loses me in the first act.

Director:

No problem with Nomadland winning here. It deserves it. I’m going to hate when it wins everything else though.

1. Zhao
  2. Fincher
  3. Chung
  4. Vinterberg
  5. Fennell

Actor:

I get that Chadwick Boseman is the lockest of locks, but I really think that he’s third best here. Though I can understand including external factors into the decision.

1. Ahmed
  2. Hopkins
  3. Boseman
  4. Yeun
  5. Oldman

Actress:

Going by the odds, this is the most category that’s the most up in the air. Top 3 performances are all very strong and I won’t hate it if any of them win. It should be Mulligan though.

1. Mulligan
  2. Day
  3. Davis
  4. Kirby
  5. McDormand

Supporting actor:

Kaluuya by a hair over Odom. They both shined in roles that could have gotten lost in the shuffle.

1. Kaluuya
  2. Odom
  3. Raci
  4. Stanfield
  5. Cohen

Supporting actress:

As long as Glenn Close doesn’t win, I will be satisfied.

1. Youn
  2. Seyfried
  3. Bakalova
  4. Colman
  5. Close

Original screenplay:

Extremely strong list of nominees.

1. Promising Young Woman
  2. Judas and the Black Messiah
  3. Sound of Metal
  4. Minari
  5. The Trial of the Chicago 7

Adapted screenplay:

Much weaker list than original screenplay, but it would still be absurd for Nomadland to win.

1. One Night in Miami
  2. The Father
  3. The White Tiger
  4. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
  5. Nomadland
3 Likes

Promising Young Woman is about how powerless women are, not how powerful.

1 Like

So… Mortal Kombat.

What a weird weird movie. It wasnt… bad, in fact I enjoyed the majority of it, but its aggressively disjointed. The first 15 minutes are great, and then we meet our non-games canon protagonist and everything halts for like a good 20 minutes and I dont give a single shit about him throughout the movie.

There is no Johnny Cage, but they sequel bait by giving him a nod with like 15 seconds left in the movie.

The middle section feels like the Power Rangers reboot where everybody has to discover their powers for some fucking reason.

The fight choreography, while quite good in spots also suffered mightily from WWEesque quick cuts. There were very few long shots of the action scenes which would have made them feel much more impactful than the extreme close up quick cuts that make up 90% of the fights.

The original movie was not good per se but had so much more heart than this.

It’s as though they shot it as a PG-13 movie but once they realized that they were gonna recoup so little from theater sales, they said fuck it and reshot a bunch of the movie with Kano cursing and added in some fatalities that would have otherwise not been there.

Again, if you saw the Power Rangers reboot, the similarities will be very striking to you.

1 Like

I edited it. You’re right; very poor word choice on my part.

1 Like

Your edit nails it!

1 Like

Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I Love You, Man were both enjoyable comedies. I finally know where “Slappin da bass!” comes from.

Bottle Rocket, Wes Anderson’s first movie, was good but obviously contained only small bits of what he’s evolved into.

Promising Young Woman and The Father getting screenplay wins.

Good start.

The event just feels very strange.

Yeah definitely a weird feeling. Moving camera adding to it.

Ya I’m not a fan so far.

Collective not winning international film is so lol.

I take it they are allowing the winners as much time as they want to speak

Collective worth checking out, I assume?

Has a documentary ever won in a non-documentary category?

I hate long speeches of endless thank yous. Just brutal.

Top three films of the year IMO.

I don’t think a doc has ever won but I am not great at those kinds of stats.

It’s interesting Hollywood keeps turning to black British actors to play African American icons.