Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/saw_x

Only 35 reviews but thats damn impressive for this series

1 Like

The Variety review has me very curious.

The story sees a rich man learning about a guru who can see without using his eyes, then sets out to master the skill in order to cheat at gambling.

This first short film was so good it made me think I might be a Wes Anderson fan after all.

Then I watched the second short and well…more for the rest of y’all lol I just can’t get into his stuff.

But as far as The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar? Check it out ASAP.

1 Like

I love the idea of someone who wants superpowers just so he can win at gambling, that rules.

2 Likes

I loved this book as a kid and can’t wait to see this. I forgot it came out this week.

1 Like

I watched this during the weekend. I guess I didn’t really process it as veering very far into comedy at all since almost all of the upbeat stuff is blanketed by bleakness. As a drama I thought it worked well overall, felt like a very believable telling of a midlife crisis as you note, and it made me want to check out more of Thomas Vinterberg’s work. 7/10.

I regret to report that The Creator is an underwhelming experience.

4.5/10, maybe? I don’t know. Appreciated some of the concepts and some of the visuals, but it fell really flat for me.

Trying to get the wife to see stop making sense instead now

Stop Making Sense was fantastic. Disappointing to hear about The Creator

I could see myself giving this another shot some time. I may have been too negative about it because I was comparing it to other movies in one of my favorite years for films.

The Creator has a Rotten Tomatoes rating in the black (albeit only at 69%), so I have to assume others will like it more than I did. But it was the coming release I was most hopeful about for a month, it definitely had a good trailer, and I just couldn’t talk myself into it despite best efforts as the movie went along.

It didn’t do anything that actively bothered me. I just couldn’t get engaged with it.

2020 is one of your favorite years for films? I think we’re far apart on that. There are some films I liked that year, but I struggle to find a true standout. Promising Young Woman is probably my favorite of that year I guess; it’s the one that I would most consider bumping up to a full 4/5 stars. This is what my Letterboxd brings up for that year.

It really was. I don’t see Judas, Sound of Metal or One Night in Miami in that pic so maybe there’s some hope of converting you.

1 Like

Judas was great but has a 2021 release date; Sound of Metal was good and has a 2019. I know those were in the Oscar field with these though, and I’m sure you’re probably understandably going by Oscar year rather than calendar year. One Night in Miami I haven’t gotten to yet.

1 Like

I think being ok but boring is one of the worst things for a big budget sci fi movie.

I loved Godzilla 2014 from him for example.

That one I had not seen, but Rogue One was great. But he didn’t have a screenwriter credit on that or Godzilla like he did on this one, so he has more ownership of this.

Not really trying to discourage people from seeing it, but I do recommend calibrating expectations. Even under the “at least it’s Dolby Cinema so I’ll feel the explosions” standard…meh.

See also Promising Young Woman in the pic. That one movie alone :flushed::popcorn:

I just clicked backward year by year to find the most recent year before 2020 that I don’t have a single rating four stars or higher. It took until I got to 1978. Most years I have a number of them. If I let 2020 borrow Judas and the Black Messiah then obviously that would help (I do have that as a four-star movie), but it does seem like an excessively weak movie year to me from what I’ve seen so far. To each their own though.

Obviously something or other was also happening in 2020 that could affect the number of quality releases, but it does look like the total number of all releases that year is basically in line with the years surrounding it.

2 Likes

that’s a pretty great year though

The deer hunter
Days of heaven
Dawn of the dead
Halloween

all 5 stars imo

2 Likes