Movie Night Watch Party Megathread

Seth’s show American Dad, which used to run on Fox but was canceled but now runs on TBS (and in reruns on Adult Swim) has this running gag where random side characters find what looks like a solid gold lump of shit encrusted with jewels which looks to be worth an ungoldly sum. However, misfortune, misery and even death soon befalls whatever character is “lucky” enough to discover this treasure.

I mean…the parallels are…a little too coincidental. At least the basic premise is there.

1 Like

Of course I suppose one might argue Seth is just ripping the idea from other lit sources. Like in that clip above…that’s how the finding of the One Ring by Smeagol went down and I doubt Tolkien got credit there.

As stated by Roger Meyers Jr

Watched Uncut Gems last night … maybe a great performance but a totally average story. Unhappy, unhealthy guy with a gambling problem winds up dead. Why am I supposed to care about him? I never watched him do a single virtuous thing.

Story sucked. I give it 3.5/5. Well made, an excellent performance by Sandler, but no story I could bring myself to care about.

1 Like

I was definitely bothered by the ending.

It was as though the Safdie’s were writing and thought, “Wait! The movie wasn’t supposed to end like this! We wanted it a different way. Shit, I guess we can throw in a random event that is logically inconsistent with the goals that the characters have and call it a twist ending. It’s genius!” Ending with a deus ex machina of sorts is a hallmark of lazy writing.

It was obvious that they wanted the death to be similar to how Billy Costigan was killed in The Departed. Completely out of nowhere and unexpected. However, the character who did it had a sensible reason to do so whereas here killing the character would be completely contradictory to their goals. It was so absurd that I didn’t have the capacity to be shocked or taken aback when it happened.

Even worse was the shot was under the cheekbone. So, you have a bunch of dorks arguing that he didn’t really die because it wasn’t necessarily a fatal shot.

1 Like

| DOUBLE FEATURE |
8pm EST | COMMUNITY S2E23-24: “A Fistful of Paintballs” part 1 and 2
9PM EST | BOOKSMART

These are two of the funniest episodes of Community, followed up by what is currently my favorite movie of all time.

This episode of Community was directed by Joe Russo, who impressed audiences so much that it led to him and his brother being tapped by Marvel to make Captain America: the Winter Soldier. If you haven’t seen the show and these episodes before, they are that good. You will laugh your paintballs off.

Booksmart is the directorial debut of Olivia Wilde. I am beside myself waiting for her followup.

Booksmart completes the 1v1 I began with El Sapo. Here we are with what is currently my #1 movie. Is it the greatest movie ever made? I don’t know, but it’s currently my favorite.

4 Likes

All excellent watches

1 Like

Just watched preview, Not what I was expecting? … looks awesome

It’s so funny. I find something new to laugh or cry at every time I watch it. A stunning debut from Olivia. And I think Beanie Feldstein (Jonah Hill’s real-life sister) and Kaitlyn Dever are amazing together. They have the kind of on-screen friendship I adore. Me and my SO are like yes, let’s be more like them.

Alright.

Let’s go

Why would you do theater when you can do debate??

1 Like

Not as sharp as your chin.

Omg lololol

I’m incredible at handjobs, but I also got a 1560 on the SAT.

I couldn’t be less interested in like…whatever this is.

Music is so good

1 Like

Whoa

1 Like

holy shit speaking mandarin made me crack the fuck up

1 Like

Shit just got…weird

1 Like