Moderation

To be clear, clovis has said exactly what he is doing.

And to be fair, those that clovis has dubbed “team purity” are sometimes doing the same thing; clovis is just smarter about how he trolls.

As I openly admitted itt I changed to trolling after being attacked. My original “page” was not trolling in any way.

I do find it interesting none of the posts calling me too rich or Canadian to be here are a concern for you.

Basically, imo, the site hasn’t needed modding aside from excising derails. My main hope for modding is that it become something more like a duty that people take turns doing rather than an honor (same goes for admin as far as that is possible).

I don’t know but expect that I’d be seen as on that side of the political spectrum and that I’d be acceptable, and I’d much rather something like this happen as the replacement of another mod, but I’d do a term as a mod of, say, 6 months, really really hoping to set some kind of precedent that this site is still community owned and run and neither mods, nor admins are owners separate from the general body of posters.

Ok I wanted to discuss it with the community and the reaction is negative so now I don’t know what to do.

Micro would be a great mod, is tough on crime, supports the 2A, loves our veterans and has my complete and total endorsement.

7 Likes

I think the reaction has been more confusion about what is bad about the current state of the forum, and how adding someone on your side (or however you put it) would fix it?

1 Like

I just want to understand your position. I’m still unclear on what you’re asking for, how you evaluate whether a person meets your criteria, and what that criteria is.

Are there any defined positions that speak to your definition of leftist? I assume you are referring in part to the degree of support a person offers egalitarianism and social equality, and by extension opposition to social hierarchy?

Like I identify pretty strongly with the ideas of anarcho-communism, though I do believe there are exceptions where I would endorse what is generally considered “limited state intervention” on matters vital to the public interest. But I have no idea how far to the right of center that puts me in your view if you are still crying out for a mod further to the left.

I would gladly endorse micro to the team. In favor of his own recommendation to treat being a moderator as a public duty we all exchange in service to each other, I would gladly trade places so that he might serve as a moderator and I might serve as a plebian. Though I am also happy to remain on the mod team and simply add mod powers to his name.

1 Like

What if I’ve already been puking from trauma and shame my whole life?

2 Likes

That’s too much to remember. I’ll just hit 303030 until he responds.

1 Like

Team purely is an insult. The intent is to take shots at people.

1 Like

lol who even are the mods?

I thought you were?

banned

2 Likes

I’m kinda fine with it all though.

These are trying times.

2 Likes

I don’t see a problem with the modding here, which seems pretty nonexistent to me. I’d be happy to volunteer as a mod in the spirit of micro’s “modding is a duty” platform and having a sufficient rabid Bernie Bro presence on the mod team, but I can’t envision doing much beyond excising derails.

4 Likes

I think you are good choice and would satisfy tababker’s goal.

Some of us do even less than that

1 Like

State secrets have been declassified

I think I actually went too hard on you, so let me better articulate my position while practicing some empathy for yours. I think I instinctively have a strong reaction to this discussion because I am just so deeply worried about how this election will impact a lot of people close to me.

It’s possible that I’m missing some context, but I just worry that we are unnecessarily creating a false left/centrist dichotomy with “voting for Biden” as the primary metric. But - as so many posters have articulated at length - voting in this election isn’t so much a valid predictor of “leftness” as it is of how we perceive our capacity for pursuing left-leaning causes. That’s why I hope to better understand your position, because - aside from just politicalcompass.jpg meming each other - it seems like we’re pretty united in our fundamental goals. I’d actually be surprised if there aren’t a fair amount of planned Biden-voters who aren’t among the most “left” on all issues except the perceived pragmatism of the 2020 election.

If I’m understanding correctly, you’re frustrated at the US’ collective indenture to a broken system - and the rest of our willingness to reluctantly participate in some aspects of that system. That sucks, man. Sorry that feels isolating. Maybe we do need more mods. But I promise you that we are united in desperately wanting things to be less broken, even if we perceive different routes to achieving that. I grew up with a ton of trauma and spend most of my day working with kids who have it way worse than I ever did. I want those kids - and my own children - to grow up in a better world than what we appear to be creating in the present. I appreciate that you’re so passionate about that fundamental cause even if we have different ways of viewing the path there.

4 Likes

I support “Clovis Kink Shames the Internet thread”.

Second!

Obviously we shouldn’t just keep adding mods*. @Smacc_25, the greatest mod in the history of the internet, retired at the top of his game like a BOSS, making room for skydiver8. I don’t know if there’ll ever be another like him though.

Or should we?

4 Likes