Moderation

I only mention him because I think he is being unfairly lumped in with what is the far more egregious case.

1 Like

No, but heā€™s the second most ignored poster on the site. Heā€™s been very annoying in the primary threads lately and was an example discussed earlier regarding how temp bans can occasionally be useful.

1 Like

I donā€™t specifically want to keep him, but I think we should be very reluctant to ban people. If only because itā€™s really not that effective, they can always come back if they really want.

2 Likes

I think if weā€™re going to ban him we need to set out exactly why weā€™re doing it to avoid future types causing a rift between posters, which is after all one of the chief aims of trolls.

1 Like

Everyone puts him on ignore, he gets bored, leaves. You can never seem to get people to do it, though.

1 Like

Is there a site-wide Ignore function that can be set globally by admin which doesnā€™t ban a poster, that we could try for a limited time to convince people that ignoring trolls is a good idea?

Then switch it off and people put him on ignore.

1 Like

Are there circumstances you would consider warrant a ban wherein a poster takes measures to circumvent the ignore function? I guess thatā€™s the same way as them circumventing a ban, though with the ignore function, unless someone tells you, thereā€™s no way to know for sure youā€™re on ignore.

Assume heā€™s reading this thread so he will know.

Also I think we should all be proud that an essentially unmoderated forum on the internet can be this good. That is a major accomplishment even though it isnā€™t perfect.

It reflects well on almost all of us.

12 Likes

I dunno, maybe? I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything particulary sacrosanct about the ignore feature.

1 Like

Yea, and an unmodded politics forum at that

I think itā€™s time for a poll. Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s worth the effort to change anything around here in terms of moderation.

• Leave things as they are. I like basically zero moderation.
  • Itā€™s worth opening a thread to discuss ā€œcommunity bansā€ via flagged posts, giving mods more power to hand out temp bans, or something else involving some small change.

0 voters

I selected ā€œleave things where they areā€ primarily because I donā€™t see any problems within the community that require systematic change. Other than anachron, whom Iā€™ve had on ignore for a while, I think peer pressure has done a good job of keeping the community in line. NBZ was considered for a ban a while back for good reasons, but Iā€™m glad he wasnā€™tā€“I appreciate his posts and think they contribute to the community.

I think posters should ignore more liberally, and I like that the software gives you the option to choose duration to include short-term. I think between the ignore function and peer pressure, weā€™re able to keep things going pretty well around hereā€“impressive considering itā€™s a political discussion.

Alright then. Long Live UnstuckUnchained!

Serious question, what would you guys do if someone like Luckbox joined and started posting his deplorable sandy hook trutherism? Because if the answer is anything other than ban him forever then this site is fucked.

3 Likes

lmao lb and his ā€œnicole brown isnā€™t really deadā€ nonsense would be flagged out of existence in minutes until permaed. There is zero doubt of that.

Have you been following this thread? There is no mechanism for banning anyone. Iā€™m pretty sure no one will ever be banned. Anachronistic is intentionally and self-consciously awful and there is no way to get rid of him.

You can put him on ignore. Then he is gone.

See thatā€™s the problem. There is no ā€œyou guys.ā€

I already suggested you become a mod and ban him and you havenā€™t even tried that.