Moderation

That’s right and using catch phrases like that is intellectual weak sauce. Do better Mr. Philosopher.

1 Like

That’s bad in three ways. I don’t have time now and I’m not sure it’s even possible to get into it on a forum like this. That’s not saying much. It’s basically impossible to get beyond completely shallow trolling.

1 Like

Ok, I’m just going to outline this.

1. I’m hardly an inveterate optimist. All you really know about me (that’s relevant here) is that I like local and worker organization, direct democracy, independent and direct action and such - not anything about how likely I think it is to have widespread success and influence in the world.

2. What utopian colonies are you talking about? Sounds like religious groups that are extremely hierarchical (as you mention). What non-hierarchical utopian experiments ended up like that? The kibbutzim more or less became either regular businesses or faded out as the next generation became normies. That’s not a failure though. The Spanish Revolution got destroyed by Franco and the Russia dominated communist party who had no interest in anything non-hierarchical. Rojava is still a work in progress, but is being attacked pretty relentlessly from the outside.

3. The cries about “populism” are all complete bullshit/bad faith. Maybe in a multi-party system or maybe congressional representatives can be something other than populist, but every single presidental candidate and president ever is and always has been a populist. Don’t tell me Obama or Bill were not populists. All candidates try to carve out some segment of the voting population that is big enough to win. “Empower the masses”??? You’re really making an argument for ending democracy and reverting to an aristocracy? And that’s better? I dunno, I really have no idea what you’re suggesting if it isn’t something like “people who are fighting for $15/hr are morons and hate science”, but that’s not how Trump got elected. As you already agreed, hating Mexicans and being white Christians is what got Trump elected. And if you want to split the intellectual branch of the Democratic Party from the Progressive Branch and ask who believes in science, I’ll ask you to look up Barack Obama and clean coal and then Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the Green New Deal.

4. Something on tactics/strategy. If it’s 1918-1922 and you’re in Russia or it’s 1945-1970 China, it’s probably a good idea to say “wait a sec, let’s not idealize the worker or the rural peasant”, but if you’re in 1930 Germany you sure as hell should not be going around warning people about the threat of organized labor. There is no threatening left in the US. Ask zikzak about the attendance of any kind of radical left demonstrations. On the other hand there’s an immense right, whether you mean right-wing Trumpy kind of stuff or just massive corporate power and culture. The ship needs to be steered and if you are scared to steer in the direction it needs to go and resisting that, you’re effectively steering in the wrong direction. And you say you like the way they handle things (corporations) in Germany (something you may have seen me post about)??? We’ve got a LOOOOONNNNNNG way to go to get anywhere near that.

11 Likes

Rex : Just shut your pie-hole and keep working.

Marcus : “Pie-hole.” What’s that, some kind of cracker slang?

1 Like

holy fuck dog putting in work and with such impeccable timing

Trump had name recognition because he is a hereditary “billionaire”, birthed by a system designed and enforced by the wealthy.

His campaign was funded by billionaires and millionaires, and he benefited from millions of dollars in free publicity from corporate run media.

Trump leveraged the power of a political party that is absolutely subservient to the wealthy. A party who’s primary goal is to serve the wealthy.

Because of the electoral college(coincidentally designed and codified by the wealthy founders of the nation) he was installed as president despite losing the popular vote. He only had one viable opponent, who was also primarily funded and backed by millionaires and billionaires.

It was actually the wealthy, who when empowered, delivered us Trump. Seems kind of shameful to try and foist the blame for Trump on the masses.

6 Likes

https://unstuckpolitics.com/t/this-thread-is-just-an-unreal-dumpster-fire/1731

I’d like to remind my fellow UnStuckers of the following facts…

1. We currently have two bad poster threads. This one, and the one in France BBQ. All bad poster threads are the same.

2. @ ziczac’s ask is 100% very reasonable: please post in the other bad poster thread, instead of posting in this one. Just that simple.

3. @ ziczac is a respected member of our tribe. In addition, he has proly put more in real world work time into UnStuck than anyone else. Literally, without his hard in real world work, we wouldn’t be chatting on discourse today.

4. So how about us UnStuckers showing some respect, and acquiesce to @ ziczac’s 100% reasonable ask? It doesn’t matter that he hasn’t articulated his reasoning, or that he has handled things inappropriately in the past. That’s all water long under the bridge. None of that should ever have matter anyways.

He’s a respected member of our tribe, we all owe him a debt of gratitude, and he has a 100% very reasonable ask. Let’s just do it!

https://unstuckpolitics.com/t/this-thread-is-just-an-unreal-dumpster-fire/1731

ETA:

I remember the poor leading us into the oil wars. Never again amirite

1 Like

I just think you’re reading too much into rhetoric on the site. I doubt anyone on the site would be lynching landlords or instituting red terror 2021 if they were able to though maybe I’m wrong.

This is just an article of faith, though. There’s nothing in particular you can point to that empirically supports it, and you’ve already been shown the statistics that tend to contradict it. Maybe it’s uncharitable to suppose that you simply think of the working classes as crude and boorish, and associate Trump with them because Trump is crude and boorish. But the charity you’re afforded is partly a function of your history, and you do not strike me as one of the deserving poor of posters.

3 Likes

The idea that the poor are some kind of monolith incapable of rational thought is just as dumb as the idea that rich people are all self-serving evil masterminds.

3 Likes

Absolutely. Plenty of rich people are thick as pigshit lololol.

6 Likes

Post here instead: This thread is just an unreal dumpster fire… please.

Defamers Disrespecters since 2020-5-19 4:52 am pdt… @ zarapochka (3), @ All-inFlynn (2), @ mukdukaluk (2), @ Clovis8, @ Sabo.

Please post here instead: This thread is just an unreal dumpster fire… pretty please.

Feel like Sabo is just trying way too hard.

6 Likes

Sure. Why I put in any effort at all is beyond me. It’s certainly not for any appreciation.

But at least I’m trying to make UnStuck a better place to chat. Who else can say that since April 1st?

I make unstuck a better place by not posting a ton in it. Maybe you should do the same.

5 Likes

I think some have misunderstood my general viewpoint. I don’t think the poor tend to be any less able or virtuous than the wealthy. My problem is not with “the working class” or “waiters” or “old people” or what have you. I regard Trump as an indictment of humanity in general, not just the working class,* but damn if he did not garner much of their support, but if my broader point sometimes gets blurred it must be because I occasionally criticize those who find particular virtue in the poor and working class. The poor are just as bad as the rich, only poorer.

*Way beyond the scope of this post, but I think the distinction between the “working class”, bourgeoise, and ownership class and their particular interests is better suited to England in 1850 than the modern world. (To say nothing of intellectuals, who Maxists always had difficulty trying to pigeon hole in their correct role and strata. See Gramshi, Antonio; for a contrary perspective, see Pot, Pol.) It would take like 10k words to elaborate on this, but I suspect the standard categories of leftist social and political analysis are flawed and ultimately not real, and trying to construct and account of politics and society as a battle between the poor and the wealthy is ultimately fruitless. That why I supported Warren over Bernie. Where the rubber meets the road for improving the lives of real people is law, policy, and taxation, not ideals.

6 Likes

I wanted to write some reply, as you made some effort in your post, but I don’t think the above really gets at where we differ. I think I have a much more jaundiced view of humanity and a somewhat different general perspective generally.

We live on a 5.5 billion year old planet in a 15 billion-year-old universe. We were hunter-gathers for 50-100k years, invented farming about 10k years ago, literacy about 5k years ago, the heliocentric perspective like 500 years ago, efficient communication like 170 years ago, biology like 140 years ago, modern physics like 110 years ago, modern medicine like 90 years ago. If we make it another 200 years, the social and political world will be radically different and render most political thought of today completely unrecognizable. If we are truly lucky (unlikely) we will have de factor world government and a more or less common language, massive productive capacity, and a general belief that our interests and fates of human beings are inextricably intertwined. I don’t think we get there by the workers of the world uniting but by continuing the slow continuous (if uneven and often wildly destructive) progress we’ve seen over the last 400 years or so. And that’s 200 years from now. What will things be like 1000 years from now? Will we be still be concerned with things like the evil of landlords? I suspect such issues will have been surpassed by more interesting concerns. Then again, if Trump can be elected president of the most power nation on earth, who knows. Then again, again, I think demographics point in a generally favorable direction, at least for the next 50 years.

3 Likes

I’m not a Marxist or a communist and I don’t like people united at all in large groups, even workers. In the battle between rich and poor the rich are often pretty united (largely because immense multinational corporations function as a single entity and industries are good at coordinated efforts). It’s probably necessary that the workers of the world do some uniting in order to keep up. I’d rather see less uniting along class lines though and have the rich communes broken up.

1 Like

No. If your broader point sometimes gets blurred, it’s because you occasionally say things entirely at odds with the self-portrait you’re painting here. I’ll give some allowance for online rhetoric and, frankly, I’ll give a little extra allowance for a guy with your background who confuses masculinity with contempt for women and finds his desire to be masculine at odds with the mores of his social peers. If you find that those allowances aren’t enough to rehabilitate your image, that’s your problem, not mine.

You said you back the candidate favoured most by mathematicians and not by waiters, and I think that’s a useful articulation of a particular liberal viewpoint. A viewpoint from which class — socioeconomic status, or what a full-blowm Marxist would call relation to the means of production — has been mostly if not completely removed. I won’t take you at your word that you don’t actually despise the waiters, because you’ve said too many things that suggest you do, and I’m more inclined to believe people when they’re saying things like that than when they’re hedgingly apologising for having done so, but I don’t think that’s especially important, mostly because this is a message board and nothing said here is at all important. I think it’s quite informative, though.

Politics is a contest for resources, for how they will be used and how they’ll be distributed. Painting that contest as solely between the poor and the rich, the haves and have-nots etc may be incomplete. Shit’s complicated, yo. But it’s far, far less incomplete than dismissing that analysis entirely. If you favour redistribution, you have work to do if you want to justify discounting the avowed opinions of those who would benefit from it. More work, certainly, than merely pointing to your own socio-economic status can do.

It’s Gramsci, btw, not Gramshi. It’s funny how the internet can sometimes judo-flip those old shibboleths.

3 Likes