Moderation

As long as InsoO is posting nobody has to worry about the worst poster title.

4 Likes

Cool story, Bro.

Any reason why weā€™re allowing arby to continue posting here? Literally first poster Iā€™ve ever had to ignore on any forum.

1 Like

Someone tried. I think thatā€™s the OP of this thread, if Iā€™m not mistaken.

Grunching but also itā€™s literally one of the oldest rules in the internet book for any type of forum. Also again, not bringing it up afterwards.

First rule of Ignore Club.

Forums shouldnā€™t even have an ignore function.

Or they should as a honeypot, where if you click to ignore then you yourself get banned.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s just what a wolf would sayā€¦

1 Like

I understand the desire to encourage users to rethink their own blocking policy after a while, and I donā€™t automatically mash the 2 weeks button on anyone immediately once it lapses as Iā€™d like to think Iā€™m making a good faith effort to see if their posting improves. But at some point itā€™d be nice if a longer option were available after Iā€™ve ignored the same user say 3 or 4 times.

3 Likes

You can do up to 4 months, at least I think you can.

1 Like

What if he wants to go beyond four months?

1 Like

Right now it seems like he thinks 2 weeks is the max and would like something longer. But as far as Iā€™m concerned a permanent ignore option would be fine. I very rarely resort to ignoring a user so by the time I get to that point the perm option would be handy.

1 Like

This is out of our hands and is a feature the software developers have said they are unlikely to implement.

1 Like

Iā€™m confused.

Hmm, I canā€™t read any of the repliesā€¦

I kid. Thanks guys, turns out Iā€™m an idiot and could have just scrolled down. 4 months is plenty.

FYI hereā€™s what I was seeing. All I had to do was scroll down.

1 Like

Me too now. What are you confused about?

I was confused because he said he couldnā€™t ignore anyone for longer than two weeks and you said sorry not in our control. Meanwhile, it looks like 4 months is an option.

Well thatā€™s because I read ostrichā€™s post too quickly and didnā€™t understand the exact question being asked so I answered a different one instead. I donā€™t take responsibility at all.

13 Likes

Sometimes the people who make the tools know better how they should be used than the people who use the tools.

But mostly, it is just hubris on the part of the product team.

1 Like

I guess they have views on how on-line communities should behave and this is one of the features they implemented to make sure everyone who uses the software is conforming with how they want it used. I can understand that the idea of banning someone from a community is not what they want but it does seem a little Polyannaish to assume that every user is going to listen to reason and behave the way the community wants them to.

1 Like

If you donā€™t do it as a plugin the change wonā€™t survive our next update.