Metallica Tournament

This is fun. When’s the next round?

i’ll try and throw up the first real round tomorrow. yea, playin ends at 3pm so i’ll try and do the first group then.

also someone else needs to vote for bleeding me or change their vote to bleeding me.

Done. And not because I think that’s a good song. Neither choice is.

working on the next round to post now

1 Like

New Round, 72 hours, although I’ll probably start group 2 before that.

You know what i just realized, theres probably some kickass music videos for a fair amount of these that I have never seen, the only one that comes to mind quickly for Metallica is the “One” video. If i miss any let me know and i’ll change the link to it. Although the Atlas rise video starts off with Lars in a headband looking real old haha.

Also two hard matchups for me i think, Turn the page/I Disappear and The Memory Remains/The Unforgiven III.

Round I:

Enter Sandman vs Die, Die My Darling

• Enter Sandman
  • Die, Die My Darling
0 voters

The Unforgiven vs Anesthesia

• The Unforgiven
  • Anesthesia
0 voters

Sad But True vs Dyers Eve

• Sad But True
  • Dyers Eve
0 voters

Seek and Destroy vs My Friend of Misery

• Seek and Destroy
  • My Friend of Misery
0 voters

Turn the Page vs I Disappear

• Turn the Page
  • I Disappear
0 voters

Atlas, Rise! vs Whiplash

• Atlas, Rise!
  • Whiplash
0 voters

The Four Horseman vs Through the Never

• The Four Horseman
  • Through the Never
0 voters

The Memory Remains vs The Unforgiven III

• The Memory Remains
  • The Unforgiven III
0 voters

dyers eve was the closer first time I saw them and it was my first concert ever. Good times.

Wat at the Atlas, Rise! vs Whiplash voting. Atlas, Rise! is somewhere in their best 5 songs since the Black album. I guess this tournament is gonna be an exercise in sort by album release date.

Why do you guys hate fun?

36280c9567df34780f33286ecfdae1bc0874eaf22dfa5dbdef092feeaba8144a

in all seriousness though, i think both songs aren’t great, no way is it anywhere near top 5 even since black album man come on!

List me 5 better songs?

Atlas, Rise! is very good, I agree it’s in the top 5 of the Black Album, but Whiplash is in the middle of Kill 'Em All (it’s better than Jump in the Fire, Phantom Lord, Anesthesia, on par with Hit the Lights/Metal Militia/No Remose). Plus I can’t help but think James is sneaking in some derpy Randian nods with the lyrics in Atlas. And there are (at least) 3 songs better than it on Hardwired.

Black Album is scoring a lot of wins early in the game, but the classic Metallica albums will win the battle.

How is The Memory Remains vs Unforgiven III a thing in the first round? Those are both top songs.

1 Like

its based off spotify plays, they both have about 33-35 million views, putting them 7/8 seed.

edit: 8/9 i mean

Thread needs some @Rivaldo casting votes!

3 Likes

Lot of really tough decisions here.

Can’t believe The Memory Remains vs. The Unforgiven III is a first round match. The latter is definitely a love it/hate it song given how different it is from the rest of their discography.

Whiplash is the fan favorite against Atlas, Rise but I think it’s a lot closer. Whiplash is pretty straightforward while Atlas, Rise is definitely more complex to me. Dyers Eve faces a similar fate.

Guess I’ll be the guy who thinks that the Turn the Page cover is mediocre at best. I’ll take the original over Metallica’s version any day of the week.

But the tough decisions just goes to show how deep Metallica’s discography is. There shouldn’t be tough decisions in the first round.

@Lawnmower_Man @smrk4 @ggoreo that legato run at 1:07. how does he get all that different variation from the notes in a legato run? yes, I’m stoned. it might be tapping :rofl:

1 Like

Other things are permitted itt, so far as they’re off the Other Things album.

Plini has released a trilogy of EPs ( Other Things and Sweet Nothings in 2013, The End of Everything in 2015). His debut album , Handmade Cities, which Vai described as “one of the finest, forward-thinking, melodic, rhythmically and harmonically deep instrumental guitar records [he has] ever heard”, was released in 2016.

1 Like

Sounds like tapping to me toward the end of the run.

1 Like

Man this tournament’s gotta pick up. No idea why this is less popular than Zeppelin.

yeah… he starts off briefly in the low register with some legato, but he pretty immediately combines tapping imo