Massive explosion in Beirut

So you’re suggesting that a bad actor took advantage of a fire to strike something nearby? Or that a bad actor hit two separate sites in a nearby area?

Why are you drawing arrows pointed at Building 7?

7 Likes

If there is a bad actor involved it feels way more likely that a random run of the mill act of political violence that caused a huge explosion because the bombers didn’t notice that the target was right next to an ammonium nitrate storage facility.

Like that’s not super far fetched in a port city with a long tradition of political bombings. Accidents happen and mistakes get made in real life. Blowing shit up is risky.

1 Like

If it’s materials for fireworks, it could have been a shit ton of powder. First a bunch of finished fireworks go off, then a bunch of materials used to make them?

I don’t think firework materials could create a shockwave like that but I could be wrong.

Damaged caused 12 miles away… :cry:

yea moreso what i’m thinking but obviously have no clue in this area.

I already feel a bit gross doing this so I’m not going any further and just leave it as: to me, the video seems to show two things happening in very close but not identical locations.

https://twitter.com/samdagher/status/1290692637180272644?s=19

2 Likes

I wanted to save my one time for the election, but maybe hoping for no reactionary moves that lead to a world war would be a better idea?

The shockwave videos are unreal. All those cars on the highway just get decimated. Just going about your day and then you get wiped out in milliseconds. Ughh

Yeah, very possible. And Israel would certainly deny it once this scale of destruction happened if it was an accident.

good that it was an accident, terrible though man.

There’s a video upthread with the dude on the balcony & as the blast hits, before his camera hits the ground, his glass barrier is already smashed and has his blood on it (I assume its his). Shocking video.

I’m already angry that I know we won’t do anything to help. This is the type of thing that, I don’t care if they’re our ally or enemy or in between, their civilians are just human beings and this is a massive humanitarian crisis at this point. We are the richest country in the world and should be sending massive amounts of help.

But that’s not even in play, it’s just hoping that Trump doesn’t say anything stupid, hoping Lebanon does not retaliate and hoping Israel doesn’t do anything either.

Yeah this is hard to think about.

2 Likes

Obviously the most likely scenario really is an accident, and that’s best for literally everyone in that region right now from the perspective of basically every player at the table. Everyone everywhere is focused intensely on controlling COVID.

And in their denial prove they are complicit. Genius!

Suggesting Isreal is involved seems pretty irresponsible.

What would Lebanon retaliate for?

Eh. It’s a viable possibility in that part of the world, and admitting as much isn’t unreasonable. There’s a reason why everyone clued in on the important guys house that could have maybe gotten bombed as soon as the explosion happened. Israel is by no means the only entity that likes to blow shit up in Lebanon either.

I’m hoping they are not involved. Obviously they would deny it either way. Obviously many people in that region will think it’s them either way. So it’s not a good situation.

Yeah, even if they are separate buildings it’s very possible that the initial fire/explosion dropped sparks/embers on the second building and essentially lit a fuse.

There will inevitably be many in that country who will blame Israel no matter what, and who will want retaliation.

This is true as well, of course.