Massive explosion in Beirut

wow that video, def looks like fireworks early on but they must have set off something else though

Here’s a series taken from the first video - there was already a smoke column before the big explosion.

I’ve just about had it with fireworks this year.

6 Likes

Based on the first tweet in this thread, looks like this is where it happened.

1 Like

That’s much clearer - shows where that 1st smoke plume came from.

I wonder if munitions storage could account for the variously-sized explosions?

It kinda reminds me of that explosion in China in 2015, with the small one first and then a much bigger explosion later.

edit: 2015 Tianjin explosions - Wikipedia

Man, he just can’t catch a break!

2 Likes

Holy shit that Shockwave is insane

You have to love/hate the internet. Took less than 20 min for a full Zapruder of the clip! :grin:

The explosion everybody has footage of happens at a slightly different location than whatever is causing the smoke right before it. You can clearly see it if you go frame by frame in this video:

That implies not good things, maybe?

As best I can tell from the above video.

Me: I’m going to take a break from the news.
2020: Go fuck yourself, no you’re not.

God, I hope this was an industrial accident. If Israel caused this many civilian casualties, even inadvertently (like attacking something nearby and not knowing this fireworks depot or whatever was nearby), the scale of war this will lead to would be hard to comprehend. I would think WW3.

3 Likes

The shockwave is wild. Those people that stopped on the highway and were staring at the smoke cloud :disappointed_relieved:

Possibility 2. This would definitely imply bad things.

I know it’s kind of irresponsible to speculate like this, but if you pause the video and slowly drag the slider from 1.5 to 2.5 seconds it’s clear the smoke and explosion aren’t happening in the same place.

2 Likes

Seems far fetched to assume that a commercial port in downtown area would be a target for Isreal.

I dont think it could be fireworks for that big explosion, i would expect a firework explosion to look like that one video with lots of small explosions. The big blast definitely comes off as a bomb or some kind of industrial/steam explosion.

Watching Sky News atm, the blast area is quite large and could include all of those photos above, the damage is enormous.

Reports of ammonia nitrate in the area

Edit:- Jeez this blast area is massive, 10 people already reported as dead, people in the streets all covered in shattered glass, Atleast a quarter mile blast area… Wow just wow.

Maybe fireworks shipment caught fire and spread to ammonium nitrate storage.