Major League Baseball (Part 1)

MLB umps actually have massive power to make rulings in the spirit of the game. I think they would award a home run.

Before FIFA made it an automatic sending off, when I was 12 a punched a ball over my own crossbar when I wasn’t the keeper.

1 Like

We have another winner in my rules trivia quiz far above ITT. The answer to #13B is “yes”. To give more details… it’s three bases if a player throws his glove and hits the ball, but only two bases if the glove misses the ball. In both cases the ball remains live.

There’s still several Qs nobody answered above… if anyone wants to give them a shot. Although I’ll admit several of them require going to the “dark side” of the rule book.

Counterpoint: Angel Hernandez is crew chief, so it’s equally likely he rules the Detroit Lions have to forfeit their first game.

There are thousands of people trying to become MLB umps and Angel Hernandez continues to have a job. UNIONS BAD!!!

The giants 6 hitter today is Joseph Mccarthy

Should be the Reds cleanup hitter.

5 Likes

and rain

Was glad to see several Giants and also Mookie Betts taking a knee during the anthem and not just before the anthem. I think MLB probably wanted to show non-offensive endorsement of BLM but they don’t realize that it needs to be politically incorrect to be effective.

2 Likes

That anthem was brutal.

LOL. I know. He busted out his Edith Bunker voice at the end.

Not this time Joseph

Really great work by ESPN missing the first pitch of the Giants half inning both times so far. Nobody wanted to see the first pitch in the NL anyway I guess.

One of these stadiums should set up like 20,000 mannequins just for the weird factor. Or maybe Tampa they could do like 6,000.

1 Like

Was watching the Reds game on mlb . com and lasted about 2 innings. I couldn’t stand the radio ads on television. Too much work to turn down the volume every 5 minutes.

In the Giants/Dodgers game, Cueto reminds me of Luis Tiant. He seems to be balking on every other pitch though.

Also, Carl Yastrzemski’s grandson is playing in the game. I’m very old.

Throwing out guesses:

1. Yes if there is a suspended game made up later.
  1. Yes if they come in as reliever.
  2. No
  1. Two
  1. Ground rule double

I’m a very casual MLB fan these days. Is Cueto the guy who used to be on the reds? If so I’ve seen him pitch live and he definitely mixes up his delivery to the plate drastically from pitch to pitch, I guess to keep batters off balance. Some look decidedly balk-y, like he basically stops and pauses mid leg kick. I kind of hate baseball as a spectator sport these days, but one redeeming quality is there are still all of these weird player quirks/superstitions and archaic rules.

1 Like

Cueto is awesome.

You can’t balk if there’s no one on base.

1 Like

Please explain how suspending a game would allow the same pitcher to get both a win and a loss in that game.

Ding, ding, ding we have another winner. MLB rule 9.18: “No pitcher shall be credited with pitching a shutout unless he pitches the complete game, or unless he enters the game with none out before the opposing team has scored in the first inning, puts out the side without a run scoring and pitches the rest of the game without allowing a run.”

This is incorrect.

There have been three triple headers in the major leagues: in 1890, 1896, and 1920. Since then triple headers have been banned. Baseball counts suspended games, and games that go past midnight, as happening solely on the day the game was started. So the current answer for how many games can be officially played on a calendar date is two.

However, welcome to the “dark side” of the rule book.

The Q said “won” not “played”, and said “day” not “date”. Depending on how you feel about those quibbles the answer could be up to six. This source says under the current CBA a suspended game may be completed preceding a double header. Also, baseball records the game date in local time. So, a team could score six winning runs in the same 24 hour period… complete a tie suspended game before a doubleheader, travel across the international dateline, then complete another tie suspended game before another doubleheader.

This is incorrect in general.