Magic: The Gathering or MTG or MTGA aka MTG Arena

Wow. Thanks!

I just 4x’d the zendikar set through free play go infinite drafting. Now to stockpile gold for the next set release. The offer still stands to peeps itt if you have any desk or some other screen sharing facility I’ll go through a draft with any newbie and try to help them out. You’ll have to fit in UK time but I’m often up somewhat late.

2 Likes

I would love to take you up on this. I’ll try and figure out a time and PM you.

Yeah I’m gmt so it’s 2pm now. I’m willing to start at like midnight my time if it’s Wednesday through Saturday so whatever that is for you.

1 Like

I am speculating on some jeweled lotuses. It is pretty high risk because they’re not on the reserved list but I think there’s some value in them.

Anything with a 0 casting cost and the name recognition that’s also a first printing has to retain some value. The question is how quickly will they be reprinting some sort of master version of the card - with 3(!) premium variants already I don’t think it’ll be as soon as people are speculating.

I’m buying up the foil and extended art variants. If there isn’t a banning I think they’ll bottom out ±15% from where they are now and then go up for a while.

If paper Magic survives covid and rides this bubble commander should grow in popularity and this seems like an auto-include forever.

Am I screwing up my land amounts? In quick draft I try and stick with 17 lands - I mulligan if I don’t have 3. Ive spent all morning just grasping to draw one. I assume this is just variance?

In draft you should keep many 2 land hands. Probably more than half of them. 17 is standard and variance is a bitch yes. Are you counting the double faced lands as full lands? I usually try to run 18 -20 with the double faced cards included.

1 Like

Counting only pure land cards. So 2 land starters are worth keeping?

Two lands with some action is fine a lot of the time, yes

1 Like

The answer is always it depends :). If you have both your colours and a 2 or 3 drop it’s a keep. You should be looking for reasons to keep rather than reasons to chuck imo. The rule of thumb is if you’re hoping for 2 things (draw a land and some early action) or 1 very specific thing (I need exactly a mountain to play anything in my hand) then chuck back otherwise keep.

2 Likes

I can’t believe there’s no new set until early February! Not a fan of Rise.

It’s kind of bad that it got solved so quickly but it does mean you’re mostly playing awesome decks which I find fun.

my opinion
red black party (pick all the removal then fill the gaps you can get 8-10 decent removal spells)
You want bug catchers and packbeasts
black white clerics (5 Kor celebrants isn’t out of the question)
obviously the uncommon and rare are great but you can build a decent engine at common
blue green kicker (roost of drakes = broken)
not much removal so take rabid bites and bubble snares highly

1 Like

I keep trying to force u/b rogue even though I know it’s garbage. It’s so fun when it comes together.

Yeah rogue is awesome when it works but you really need the uncommons.

I’m dumpstering everything with UB yorion at the moment. I think it’s tier 0 because I suck at this game

Ahh you were talking draft, my mistake

whats your list?

With a couple of insignificant changes. It’s a beast

My list is WB clerics by a mile, then UG kicker, then a smorgasbord of archetypes, UR, UW and BR are good. Then never draft BG, GW or RG unless something bad happens.

But in all cases, never force. Seminal article: https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/mtg/channelmagic-articles/stark-reality-drafting-the-hard-way/

1 Like

Although, this set is so synergy dependent that it is worth considering “forcing” based on your first few packs. Like if my P1P1 was roost of drakes I’m picking that over most things but if the rest of the pack is the murasa sproutling a bubble snare and an into the roil but there’s only a deadly alliance an one other crappy black card, I might pick the DA and try to send the next 2-3 people in my pod down the kicker line. Fighting over an archetype is brutal in this set.

Funnily my BG, GW and RG decks all seem to go the distance. Because if I’m in those archtypes there’s a very very good reason for it.