Love & Hope & Sex & Dreams

I used to enter this. And I agree, as a genre of their own many are actually good “bad.”

My entry into noir one year:

image-asset

5 Likes

First of all, I love the presentation

3 Likes

It is weird how freeing it is it write “bad.” I re-read these and find myself laughing at my own terrible jokes.

image-asset (2)

image-asset (1)

5 Likes

You’re like this generation’s Douglas Adams

1 Like

My understanding of a cul de sac and the image I was going for, is that they wanted a stop sign at the end of a dead end road. Says Google, “a street or passage closed at one end.”

I suppose whether or not it makes sense depends on which “end” you think it means? Anyway, bad writing on purpose is fun, but maybe it was bad-bad.

It was bad-bad-bad. So it was bad. Which means it was bad-bad. Aka good.

From a town with many a cul de sac and nary a sign.

Oh Ithacus, where have you gone?

OP :heart:

@Devil I hope your pain starts to fade. It sounds like you’re missing her friendship as much as her being a potential partner. It’s a rough time to get ghosted.

I have a question that I’ve asked of friends in the last few years but would like to know what the community answers.

Assuming you’re in a committed relationship of multiple years, doesn’t have to be married and maybe this should be a poll but I’d rather have specific thoughts from people.

How often are you meeting someone and fantasizing about a)being with them sexually, b) being with them in a relationship c) or you develop some sort of crush, this could be same as b I guess but whatever

Edit: to be fair with everyone else, my responses would be something like

A)often
b)often
C)sometimes?? More than rarely

1 Like

a)sometimes
b)rarely
c)rarely

4 Likes

I tend to think that having sexual fantasies about someone is pretty standard but extending that to thinking about being in a relationship with them is verging on emotionally cheating.

I’ve happy been with my wife for 12 years now.

A. Sometimes
B. Never
C. Never

2 Likes

I tend to get crushes on women that I meet that are really amazing. It’s not so much a sex/relationship thing, more like a “Wow you’re incredible.” It’s a safe crush lol.

2 Likes

In a happy relationship for 7 years, married for 2.5

A. Sometimes. More often have sexual fantasies about people I haven’t met (celebrities etc)
B. Never. I feel like this would be more likely if there were things about my relationship that I’m unhappy with and thankfully that hasn’t really happened to me.
C. Maybe once-twice a year. I’ll meet someone I’m kinda struck by and get the nervous butterflies by being around them the next few times and usually that fades.

Thanks, Rexx. This is a lot of it. She’s the one who started our friendship. And for the years I was out of state, she was the one who kept in touch and wouldn’t quite let me go. When I came back, she gave me hope and made me feel a part of her family. And she’s just plain fun. I miss the hell out of her. It’s been a few months, and I am feeling a little better now, even if somewhat hollowed out.

7 Likes

ha well responses are what I expected i guess, it makes sense now but yea through nearly 12 years of marriage i feel like i did all of those things a fair amount, it just never dawned on me that it was because i was super unhappy, or probably it did but i was just in denial or figured it might change I dont know.

4 Likes

If you got married young, or without playing the field, it’s different.

My answers now would be:

A) never
B) never
C) never

That’s upon ‘meeting’ them. I notice women’s bodies all the time, but I don’t really fantasize. I notice dudes too, obviously it’s different but I still size everyone up in a matter-of-fact, analytical way.

On my first marriage, which was super young, it would’ve been:

A) often
B) often
c) sometimes?? More than rarely

And she was the most beautiful woman I’ve ever been in a ltr with. The woman I’m married to now is legitimately my best friend (and still attractive), that’s what you need to find: Your partner in crime or whatever dumb cliché.

The first wife and I were even an okay personality match. I don’t think people (men at least) are meant to get married until their latish twenties, ftmp. Maybe it’s different if you find the one tho, I do fantasize about what my (and her) life would’ve been like if my wife and I would’ve met in college.

5 Likes

I think a sometimes/often answer to A is pretty standard and probably not unhealthy at all.

B can be a problem if it’s a legit detailed fantasy of what it would be like to be with the person (complete with unrealistic lack of problems that you have in current relationship etc.). I’d say I’ve done this occasionally but it’s been more in the vein of “hmm imagine an alternate universe where I’m with her? That’d be interesting” without anything too deep to it.

I feel like C can arise from flattery if I get the sense the other person is attracted to me, having a little trouble differentiating it totally from the other two options.

3 Likes

I agree with all this if the word was imagine or envision instead of fantasize.

Involuntary mental exercises are different than wistful daydreaming, being my personal distinction.

1 Like