Louis Cyphre's Walrus

Also The Chain for Formula One races was an inspired choice

Exactly, Iā€™m at least 20% serious when I claim that BBC sport theme tunes is the best musical genre that exists. Ski Sunday, Golf, Cricket, Snooker, Formula 1, Grandstand - all amazing.

(Meant as a reply to @Jalfrezi)

1 Like

Yes.

Additionally it helps me do the reveals in a timely fashion if I get the submissions early. Right now I am looking at 14 songs per category * letā€™s say an average of 5 minutes per song * multiple listens.

If so, what is the deadline?

See OP

1 Like

We could do ranking of top x and bottom y as we do right now but award the songs in the middle all the same average score, eg. 6-10 all get 8 points.

Well I was sort of doing that by awarding the average score of 0 to the middle. Biggest reason was to eliminate unnecessary work in both sorting and tabulating scores. Iā€™d probably eliminate the time penalty due to that. The other was to asymmetrically award the winners more than a linear system does. If thereā€™s a middle tier that deserves to score, under my system it could be achieved with something like

A: {5,3,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0}

but maybe people are averse to receiving nothing? Then instead it could be

B: {6,4,3,2,2,2,2,2,2,1,1,1,1,1,1}.

It feels sort of like a participation trophy though? System B would create a different mechanic if multipliers are used. Itā€™s not clear to me what other implications might be. Iā€™ll see if I can backtest a few systems using the results from different threads I can find.

I think itā€™s a fundamental question of what we want to reward. Under your proposed scoring, would a player with six 9th-place finishes beat someone with two gold medals and four last-place finishes? Because I want to say the person with the golds is the clear winner there.

There wouldnā€™t be any 9th place finishes, only finishes in the ā€ž6th to 10th place rangeā€œ. We donā€˜t bother ordering them.

I meant anything falling within that range. I used 9th because thatā€™s where my tiered scoring cuts off (4th-9th) and Iā€™m trying to evaluate across multiple scoring systems. Point is that I donā€™t think the middle range should be outscoring polarized podium/bottom players. Iā€™m pretty likely to add one of my top 3 to my playlist if itā€™s not in there already. I wonā€™t be adding the 15th best and probably not even the 6th best (although it depends on strength of the submissions).

I am sorry. I didnā€™t read your post properly. Under the system I proposed upthread six midling finishes score 48 points and two firsts and six last place finishes score 34 points (assuming 15 participants).
For comparison under the current scoring rules six 9th places also win with 36 points.

What we shouldnā€™t lose sight of is that having a discrete rank/score for every submission might be the most fun. I enjoyed sweating the reveals and every revealed that wasnā€˜t my song meant I got an extra point. I got a kick out of that.
The fun factor should be more important than a fine-tuned scoring system.

3 Likes

This is true. My counterpoint to that is I was planning on having a faster contest turnover than ChrisV. Personally I only got a kick out of hitting him with Bill Callahan which I thought he would either love or hate. The difference between 4th and 13th feels the same to me. I started losing interest though when there were days between reveals.

OK, I can see your point. I have never hosted a Walrus before so I can only guess how much work it is going to be. Someone more experienced like @ChrisV can chime in if there is a way to streamline the process.

Also, if the forum is interested in always having a Walrus running, we should probably have the next Walrus start taking submissions when the reveal starts so we donā€™t have a week gap between them.

Less is more

Maybe we should rotate games. This place could use a Sheep.

3 Likes

Yeah I like that idea.

Wonder how many people we could get in a werewolf game :grin:

1 Like

This has really made me come to grips with what a terrible stereotypical American I am. I literally got nothing.

Iā€™ll donate this if anyone wants to use it.

Thanks but Iā€™ll just have to go with La Bamba