Long and Tedious Path to the Truth

If you had a breakthrough infection would you take that into account when you’re timing your booster shot?

I certainly encourage people to read everything I wrote in that exchange and decide for themselves if I’m an antivaxxer. Certainly someone is a sophist in this exchange, better that people read for themselves and decide.

1 Like

It’s not antivaxx, but it’s antivax adjacent. You don’t have to go around yelling at everyone who is unvaccinated, but yes you should judge them and let them know that you view them as dangerous morons. Do it in a civil way, but let them know you are not comfortable around them and that they are being irresponsible and putting others at risk due to their actions.

Also, yes, they are bad people. I’d equate them to drunk drivers - yes they may not actually kill anyone and are most likely to kill themselves, but every time they walk around in public they are a risk to society. If everyone scorned the unvaccinated, maybe they would actually change their ways. As we’ve learned with Trump supporters, you’re not going to win them over with logic or kindness.

1 Like

Classic Keeeeeeding. If you had said “I think I’m going to wait a month or two to get my booster given my past infection,” we’re not having this conversation. But you deliberately misconstrue what you actually said, which was:

I haven’t gotten a booster and probably won’t, at least for a while.

That’s not just timing. That’s also questioning whether or not you’ll get one at all. You know this, and you know it’s shameful, so now you have to resort to pretending you were only talking about timing of your booster.

Right, I don’t know if I’ll get a booster or not. It depends on what the scientific evidence shows going forward. If no one gets a fourth shot I probably won’t get a booster. If I get a second breakthrough infection I probably won’t get a booster. If people get a fourth shot and I don’t get a second breakthrough infection I’ll probably get a booster. The world is a complicated place and I don’t know what is going to happen.

Can simplify things in this complicated world and just get the booster, and then you gain the benefit of not having to guess whether your breakthrough infection provides you as much protection as the third dose.

1 Like

My argument is that they’re doing what they think is best for themselves in good faith, but with terrible information. They don’t think that the vaccines work or that they’re a good idea. So to me that’s not a question of morality. An immoral person would be someone who thinks the vaccine works but doesn’t get it anyway, for…I don’t know. It’s not selfishness because the vaccine working for the community means that it also works for them. They just don’t trust the vaccine. They don’t think it works. That’s ignorance rather than immorality.

The inevitable waves of infection just seem like what’s going to happen. It’s going to happen to highly vaccinated New York and low vaccinated Alabama. It’s just going to happen. This is vaccine neutral as far as I can see.

I equated a breakthrough infection with a booster in its effect not because I’m hoping to get a breakthrough infection and get super immunity. It’s because I fucken got a breakthrough infection and now need to think about how that impacts my decision to get a booster! And of course I and no one else knows the answer to this question so I have to bungle through the best I can. And a breakthrough infection, at the very least, seems like it should delay the booster. We’ll know more as the scientists gather more information. I don’t see how this is in any way controversial.

OK that’s a reasonable choice but it’s not a clear cut decision. Why so much vitriol? Not from you, obviously.

Man this has been a wild Friday night

6 Likes

wat?

I got this far but I’m giving up now - this thread is insane.

1 Like

I mean, of course there is vitriol. People’s lives have been impacted in significant-to-catastrophic levels, and we’re doomed to endemic covid for the rest of our natural existence in large part as a result of people that haven’t gotten the shots and shared the burden of public health. Feel free to push back on whatever you feel is right, but you can’t honestly be surprised to get a little pushback from meh not sure if i’ll get the booster, we’ll see.

First and foremost, I think that my decision with the booster is inconsequential and reasonable. Like, I’m talking to my physician about it in February. If you got vaccinated in August you can’t get a booster now. I got a breakthrough infection in August. Let’s just slow the fuck down and see what the hell is going on in a month or two or three. Science is galloping along and we can see what’s going on then.

As far as endemic covid, well hell. It was happening regardless. You think if we got vaccinated as quick as Israel covid isn’t going to become endemic? It was going to happen regardless. There was no stopping it. That’s one of my points. What is there to blame the unvaccinated for at this point? Everyone is going to get it. People who want the vaccine can get it, at least in rich Western countries. People getting vaccinated or wearing masks or not going to Applebees wouldn’t have actually stopped covid from becoming endemic. It was just going to happen, it’s unstoppable.

You are missing out on tons of amazing stuff if that is your favorite part.

I am truly amazed that you guys read wookie’s explanation as to why keed is antivaxxer and retained the same level of intelligence you had before. I had the triple check it’s not a gimmick account.

Still not my fav part, but it made the top 10

6 Likes

requesting thread title change to…

Long and tedious path to the truth

3 Likes

I just said that if i was a mod i’d ban wookie for it, cause it just seems assholish (it’s also pretty easy to show logically why one of them must be banned). So not sure what you mean.

Serious is a relative term. We can do the route of lol internet forum who cares. It just seems a bit lazy to me. Not caring is fine. Not caring while posting about not caring was always something that baffles me.

1 Like

Why must one of them be banned?

I never mentioned the current mods as i don’t read the covid thread often (and crazy pills tilt when i do) so i do not know. i have no concrete complaint to any mod.

Should “being assholish” be a bannable offense?
  • Yes
  • No
  • No opinion/Don’t know/Don’t care

0 voters

Good thing Keed didn’t tell Wookie about the dirty knife.

That one’s just for the oldsters in the audience. Ask your parents to explain it to you, Millennials.

1 Like