Long and Tedious Path to the Truth

OK, how long should I be banned?

The specifics don’t seem important as this is purely theoretical. i’m not a mod.
But just as i don’t see the point in continuously banning jal/churchill/marty, i don’t find ban length highly important.

I actually wrote somewhere about it being lengthy but that was more in jest than serious. Putting time sentences seems like borrowing a solution from a completely irrelevant system. In the utterly fictional universe where my opinion on the issue matters, I’d ban you until you agree to stop calling Keed antivaxxer or demonstrate that he is and then I’d ban him.

We could treat UP like network security and just ban everybody unless there’s a compelling reason to unban them.

8 Likes

I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

I hope one day to find a woman who loves me half as much as you guys love fighting about the same shit over and over.

3 Likes

Don’t think I’ve ever been called an antivaxxer before, maybe it slipped my memory.

I try not to get too involved in this stuff, but found this poll from the covid thread interesting. I’m not sure how to interpret it, but on the one hand you have a definition of “anti vaxxer” that is very different from how I have previously considered it. Also, a fairly even split says maybe I’m not the only one.

1 Like

Antivax adjacent? Is that bad? Because it sounds bad, but what the hell does it even mean. What’s the difference between the great vaccine warrior Mr. Wookie and the antivax adjacent scum Senor Keed? Going around in judgement of the unclean unvaccinated? What purpose does that serve? You say I should – respectfully – tell my unvaccinated coworkers that they are dangerous morons. I don’t know man, that sounds like a great way to get fired. But that’s not particularly relevant as I don’t have any interest in doing so anyway. And ironically, I don’t feel the need to do that sort of vaccine-shaming partly because I am comfortable around these unvaccinated coworkers, exactly because I am a strong advocate and believer in the vaccine! I think my covid risk is miniscule right now, exactly because I am protected by vaccination and whatever booster-ish effect my breakthrough case confers to me. I suppose an unvaccinated person around me raises my risk by an absolutely tiny margin but I can’t be bothered to worry about that.

Sure each unvaccinated person raises risk slightly. But they’re making this decision because they think that the vaccines don’t work or are risky or whatever. Are people bad because they are making terrible decisions based on honestly-held but terrible beliefs? They’re wrong, but why are they bad? And why is it important that I believe that they’re bad?

I’ve convinced like four people with logic and kindness to get the vaccine, including one co-worker. Scorn and derision would have been a totally counterproductive approach that would have resulted in four fewer vaccinations and alienatined me from friends, family, and coworkers. And for what?

1 Like

To be fair, this time they’re fighting over slightly new shit.

These types of people are probably the most dangerous people out there.

Ted Kaczynski had honestly held and terrible beliefs. So did Jim Jones. Etc etc. The biggest atrocities in history were committed by people with sincerely held, awful beliefs.

People who feel that actual facts dont apply to them and they get to choose their own version of truth are not good people. They are selfish neurotics who looks out only for themselves and think they are special because they alone see the REAL truth.

1 Like

Ted Kaczynski knew murder was wrong and did it anyway. He knew he was murdering people and did it anyway. His – frankly quite dope – manifesto expressed a sincere belief but there’s a big difference between someone who has convinced himself that murder is justified in a particular situation like Ted or McVeigh and people who don’t think the vaccine works or is dangerous. The antivaxxer sincerely believes that he is doing the best thing for himself and that his actions will do no harm to himself or others, while McVeigh is willfully murdering people. These are completely different things. The sincere antivaxxer might be dumb, gullible, watching too much OAN, I don’t know, pick the thing that made them believe the idiocy he believes. But the antivaxxers I personally know are generally nice guys. I like them, enjoy working with them, and have zero interest in judging them or declaring them Evil Antivaxxers, because how would that make anything better at all? It would make my life worse and their life worse. What the hell is the point of that?

2 Likes

We’re all taking time off from work to improve our mental wellness. By ALLCAPS SCEAMING at MORONS on the internet, just like the wellness coaches recommend.

1 Like

I’d call it “old shit adjacent”.

10 Likes

Practice makes perfect!

They’re? You should probably change that to “we’re” unless somebody forced you to make a bunch of posts ITT.

1 Like

This is a pretty classic politics argument problem that arises from not accepting that people aren’t just one thing. There are lots of bad anti-vaxx ideas, and they are shared by people along a big spectrum from “maybe the downsides are worse than we currently know” to “the military is run by Bill Gates and pedophiles who put 5G nanobots in the vaccines so that they shed infections to children”. It’s why wielding ANTIVAXXER as an accusation sets people off, because people that are on the less deplorable end of the spectrum are rightly going to object to being lumped in with the worst people in society. But everybody on this forum has to be smart enough to know what’s really being said when “antivaxx light” views are pounced on as being antivaxx. We’re not idiots here (for the most part) incapable of dealing with that level of nuance.

2 Likes

And to expand on this, one of the guys who is a direct report of mine is not vaccinated. He’s the nicest guy in the world, had brain cancer eight years ago and survived. He’s wonderful to work with and I think a lot of him. He’s a very devout Catholic and I think his opposition to being vaccinated is probably some fetal testing abortion thing. Just a guess on my part, I’ve never asked. I’m supposed to ruin my working relationship with this guy because he doesn’t want to get a vaccine? That’s insane. Not one of you guys would do this. I think a big difference here is that I’m actually dealing with real world antivaxxers every day in person at my actual job and you guys are just mad online at some idealized stereotypical antivaxxer that serves as an avatar for all your covid frustrations. There are other, more stereotypical antivaxxers at my work but I’m obviously not going to confront or insult them either, because again, why would I ruin my working relationship with any of them. And would you guys really act differently in my shoes? Maybe, I don’t know, but it would hurt everyone involved, particularly yourself.

5 Likes

Hello…

1 Like

I have anti-vax coworkers that I won’t go anywhere near now and generally regard as the morons that they have proven to be. I don’t think this is a super unique situation.

1 Like

I agree that fighting anti vaxx ideas on a person by person level is self defeating, and of course you can’t do that in the workplace. Unless they are blaring their anti vaxx ideas nonstop and disrupting work, and even then it’s not your job as an individual stop it. I think most people here (I’m guessing) are asking for institution and policy level combativeness towards indefensible anti vaxx ideas and actions, not person by person shaming.