LOL LAW

This sucks.

1 Like

I don’t even fingerprint or face id, and am feeling prettay good.

Passcode only 4 lyfe.

Same, tried the face thing for a few days after getting a new phone and said nope.

When you get pulled over turn off phone. It needs passcode to restart

1 Like

Shut down is like three levels deep now. Thanks Apple.

Do the newer models not shut down by holding the side buttons? I’m still on an iPhone 11.

No but you can ask Siri and she will bring up the shutdown slider.

I have a pretty much new iPhone. I held both side buttons and I had the option for emergency call or shut down. I did neither and it still made me type in my code to open phone. So that’s good.

Don’t you use your phone to record the encounter?

I’m an old white guy I am not worried about getting murdered by cops.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/DarwinBondGraha/status/1782544252448493707?t=9NMLYjk6A-aHJQERjqumsA&s=19

Shocking.

Not really

This is like writing a breaking news story about the discovery of gravity.

2 Likes

In today’s edition of LOL LAW, Harvey Weinstein’s NY conviction was overturned because some witnesses who he raped testified but were not the basis for individual charges. A+ system here guys

1 Like

Lmfao. Sworn testimony of being raped by the guy but gee whoopsie this form wasn’t filled out correctly or some shit, better throw it all out

1 Like

1 Like

So on the nose. Moore & Van Allen: We were admitted to your country club long before we were admitted to the bar. ™

lol. I considered leaving off the name and firm, but figured why not?—they put that out there themselves.

https://x.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1791881751154872695

4 Likes

Texas A&M, which is steadily climbing the law school rankings, received $5 million via DonorsTrust in 2022. Per the filing, this was earmarked specifically “for the Center on the Structural Constitution” — virtually the same name as the scuttled Cornell Law program.

Asked when he first approached Texas A&M with the idea for the center, Leo declined to comment.

By June 2022, Texas A&M had signed a $15 million deal — payable in three installments of $5 million — to establish the “Center on the Structural Constitution,” according to a copy of the agreement provided by the school, which redacted the donor’s name.

The next month, Texas A&M Law’s dean, Robert Ahdieh, announced the center internally, telling the faculty in an email that it was part of an anonymous $15 million gift.

Later that fall, the dean sent an email about the new center to “various law school faculty around the country,” according to a law school spokesperson, who provided a copy to The Intercept. Ahdieh’s announcement described the gift as “among the largest donations ever received by Texas A&M University.”

Texas A&M has never loudly trumpeted this hefty gift. Unlike at Cornell, Leo’s name is not explicitly attached, and many on the Texas A&M law school faculty were unaware of his involvement before The Intercept’s reporting. Under the agreement, Texas A&M promised “not to publicly name or recognize the Donor without prior express approval.”

Almost two years after Texas A&M accepted the gift, its Center on the Structural Constitution has not yet formally launched, said a law school spokesperson, who declined to answer additional questions. A spokesperson for the broader university said the law school was still “developing a proposal” about the center that “may be presented in the future to the Board of Regents for consideration and approval.”

Despite this bureaucratic limbo, last fall, Texas A&M tried to recruit a well-known originalist scholar, Gary Lawson, to join the center. Lawson, a founding member of the Federalist Society and current board member with Leo, was also on Cornell’s shortlist. Lawson told The Intercept he declined Texas A&M’s offer “for personal (largely geographical) reasons,” and accepted a different position.

Texas A&M also hired a non-faculty director for the center with sterling conservative bona fides. William Payne started as director of the Center on the Structural Constitution last October, according to his LinkedIn profile. (After The Intercept reached out to Texas A&M regarding the center, Payne changed his title to director of “New Initiatives,” but as of publication his title remained unchanged in Texas A&M’s public directory. Payne did not respond to questions about his role.)

The year before coming to Texas A&M, Payne clerked for Judge James Ho, one of the most right-wing members of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Payne, who was a vice president of Harvard Law School’s chapter of the Federalist Society, also previously worked for former Republican Sens. Ben Sasse and Orrin Hatch, according to his LinkedIn.

In March 2023, without fanfare, Blackman became the “Centennial Chair of Constitutional Law,” according to his CV.

New conservative law center alert

1 Like