LOL Democrats - Tik Tok on the clock, but the party don't stop

I don’t really know if it’s the best use of my money but I just sent Tester what little I can afford based on Hank Green’s recommendation.

2 Likes

I’ve asked every Ohioan I know how he does it and based on the answers I have concluded that above is correct.

absolutely possible

https://x.com/umichvoter/status/1825009769557508479

in the scenario at the right not only do dems hold Ohio and Montana senate seats, they might flip Rick Scott out of a job

What you can’t buy cars from the manufacturer in the US? In Germany you can order your S-Class online, and afaik you can also go to the factory and watch it being built.

Car dealers own state legislatures

1 Like

You know how literally everything is worse in the US? Well, buying a new car is 20x worse than the average thing in the US.

1 Like

Can Americans at least use the online Mercedes configurator? Its super fun! :transmet_smiley:

I think Tesla is the only auto manufacturer that sells directly to consumers in the US, which is why not every state allows them to have showrooms. That’s one thing they got very very right. The buying process is incredibly easy and hassle free.

Yes, but then you have to order through a dealer and still pay stupid dealer fees. So you do everything yourself, but then when you’re done you have to send that build to dealers, each of which provides their own quote. Alternatively, you can use a broker, who does this for you and shops to get you the best price (after adding their own fee).

smh

I had a funny experience with this earlier this year. The configurator was not available for the 2024 model that I was interested in. Once it became available, Mercedes was no longer taking new orders for the 2024 model of that vehicle.

Some Americans buy from the factory in Germany and then make a vacation out of picking up their car and driving around Europe.

I did this recently, you can pick the color and whatever features you want from the website, then they deliver the car to your nearest dealer which then charges you an enormous middleman fee.

Disrupting this model is maybe the one legit cool thing Musk has done.

I think they got rid of that program.

Edit: Well, they can still do what you’re talking about, but back in the day, if you did that with say BMW, they would pay for your flight to Germany. You would also get a tour of the plant if you wanted, IIRC. Of course, they also deliver your car to your home in the US for free.

1 Like

Was that only for, like a 7-series, or just any old BMW?

Well, I last looked into it during the mid '00s and I could have done it for a 5-series. As I recall, even a 3 series would have qualified. The had fewer series back then, so it wouldn’t surprise me if any new BMW qualified.

even in this case you’re dealing with fucked up US laws. You drive it around europe so that it can be imported into the US as “used,” it’s a workaround for dealer protectionism.

I believe Volvo still does this.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/l/osd-tourist/

2 Likes

Sounds like a really awesome adventure tbh.

It’s weird how much of a spotlight US politics puts on first/second spouses, does any other nation do this? They seem like charming people, but I genuinely do not care. Why not give the slot to up-and-coming new talent?

Also, maybe the guy credibly accused of being an Epstein associate could maybe call in sick or something? Or we could just not invite him to the party?

1 Like