LOL Democrats - Tik Tok on the clock, but the party don't stop

This isn’t helpful either. Guys, we can debate the utility of student loan forgiveness without scolding each other.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1562073794860163076?s=20&t=HlV4YP5BU_Y9DopfQN5wNw

Fighting over student loan forgiveness for any income is laughable. The history of the United States is filled with providing the rich tax breaks, subsidies, and forgiveness. The moment we decide to provide relief for someone in the middle class we start fighting over if they deserve it? GTFO with that shit.

11 Likes

You believe you’ve already paid it back is fair enough.

I wouldn’t give extra money to the US Gov because it’s an evil organization. I could be more generous in general. I do spend/waste some money on myself. But, I am broke and don’t have any money I should put in the “disposable” category.

I’m sure free college shouldn’t take precedence over health care. I’d have free dental before free college if it’s a matter of free health care costing too much to get done politically. Everyone needs health care. I’m not sure about free private college at all.

This is true of lots of issues though. Many people that already had good health care were able to get behind Obamacare so it would help other people that needed healthcare.

The only thing special about student loans is that people without student loans are accepting conservative framing that they’re not supposed to care about other people.

2 Likes

You know what’s not fair? Owners of commercial real estate getting to depreciate an appreciating asset to pay zero taxes, then evade even capital gains taxes via the 1031 exchange and stepped up basis. Oh and estate tax via minority discounting and dozens of horseshit trust structures. Donald Sterling has never paid income tax, I can almost guarantee it. Neither has Jared Kushner’s scumbag father. Their kids won’t either.

Not even engaging on who “deserves” student loan relief. Fuck off.

6 Likes

@microbet calm down i’m not going to benefit from this at all. Unless they use my pre-pandemic income level when I was working for roughly 18 dollars an hour doing voluntary only covid work which is what they’re using to calculate my payment now.

On a more serious note, the average medical student graduates with about 250k in debt, then works a job paying 16-22 dollars per hour for 3-9 years, during which that debt continually grows. That is a massive barrier for a lot of lower SES people from entering medicine, which is actually really important that they enter the field of medicine for lots of reasons. The same issue applies to undergrads too in slightly different ways.

Seems bad, and seems like that exploitative system should be addressed.

2 Likes

Then they make 250-400k a year immediately thereafter and can pay back everything in a couple years if they want. Also, med students tend to get very favourable low interest loans.

I’m perfectly calm and lots of this system, including the way doctors get educated and then work for peanuts and then get rich suck. But, if you’re now making $300k, you’re not middle class, you’re rich, and regardless of public policy, you shouldn’t have a problem paying back loans.

Your take that these guys should pay back their loans is diametrically opposed to most of your worldview, and regardless it makes no sense. You really want them giving the government or the corporate lenders their money?

If you said “You know, you guys really don’t need the help, so if you get it, you should donate the same amount to a good cause,” then that would make a lot more sense in the context of your lifetime of posting.

As is it just makes it more obvious that you’re just looking to fight with specific posters and unable to figure out a way to make it coherent with your known worldview. Unless you suddenly think the American government or big lenders getting extra money is a societal good.

1 Like

Lots of doctors don’t get paid that well, and shockingly, you’ll find there aren’t enough doctors in lower paid specialties like primary care and etc.

They get the same loans as everyone else. Terms are worse than the undergrad terms actually.

This also doesn’t get into my main point: these structural issues make it extremely difficult for lots of people to become doctors. You’re under the impression that the loans medical students get are special or something, and they aren’t at all. The loans don’t cover a ton of things as well, which can make it exceptionally difficult for people who rely on them.

1 Like

It’s weird how basically every doctor ends up rich despite how fucked they get at every step in the system starting with schooling all the way through public health policy. How do I sign up to get fucked so hard by the system?

1 Like

Study hard and get good grades in school? Major In bio and get good grades in college? You have white privilege, so none of the barriers to education that lower income groups faced growing up, what’s stopping you?

Everyone has heard the “doctors are rich” line from the time they are a small child, why didn’t you just do it? Get to literally save lives and you are going to be rich, seems like a no brainer.

1 Like

That’s because they are. Despite all of their constant crying and complaining about how fucked they are constantly getting.

I’d be fine with tilting loan forgiveness more in favor of lower-income people. Means testing is an ugly word around here, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to deprioritize aid to high-income borrowers if there isn’t enough money to write it all off.

1 Like

I already make as much as many doctors. And I don’t even feel like I got fucked getting here! In fact, I feel quite fortunate, actually. However, I did pay off my student loans. So I guess I got fucked and didn’t know it. (Please no jokes about the status of my butthole.)

If you really wanna get seduced, strive to become a Doctor of Physical Therapy. They end up with similar amounts of debt load upon graduation with 1/3 the salary of the average MD. Veterinarians are another profession that takes on huge loans but don’t get the mega salaries of MDs

1 Like

Kind of sounds like exactly what CN was saying.

1 Like

Instead of means testing, let’s just start with 10k for people who took out student loans to attend a public university.