Log of Key Moderator Actions

Churchill banned for a week for trolling the covid thread again.

3 Likes

Watevs banned for two weeks for an unprovoked and unnecessary personal attack. Have your opinions dude. Just dont be a dick with it.

Permanently banned @AccountChocula because it was an alt created to post while banned.

2 Likes

@j8i3h289dn3x7 banned until tomorrow for continued bickering in the About Moderation thread.

David Sklansky perma banned. Theres a thread about it.

Edit. Updated to two weeks while the thread plays out.

2 Likes

Per the vote on bans, @j8i3h289dn3x7’s ban reduced to 2 weeks. @jman220reading silenced instead of banned.

1 Like

d2e4 given a two week ban pending a permaban, at his request.

I’m giving Jbro a day off. I was really hoping to make it further without banning anyone so I’ll explain this in semi-depth.

1. I had very recently given a warning in the same thread, and I think it’s important not to be toothless.
  2. The severity of personal attack levied (supporting the murder of black children) is the type of thing that I don’t want imbedded in any user’s internet search chain. Please feel free to alert me if you have concerns about anything similar happening to you.
  3. The ban is intentionally short because I think Jbro is heated but not a bad poster. I’m following through because of reasons #1 and #2 but I welcome him back tomorrow.
  4. I don’t think I know enough about CN to be particularly biased for or against him, but I promise to keep an eye out for unconscious bias and won’t hesitate to give him a similar judgment in a similar future case.
  5. I could be wrong about this ban! I’m not perfect! I’m making a qualitative judgment call about where to draw the line in support of community. But again, there’s a reason why it’s a one-day ban. This won’t irreparably harm anyone.
9 Likes

Churchill silenced for 2 days for trolling the COVID thread.

ETA: Specifically for bringing up an already refuted study

@Vict0ar given a 4 hour timeout. Intended to take the heat out of the room a little.

This is in response the run of posts in the covid thread that just got moved to french BBV.

All-InFlynn suspended for a day for a personal attack.

1 Like

@jman220reading unsilenced because the account was never requested to be banned/silenced.

@d2_e4 Silenced a week for personal attack(s) rapidly after resurfacing. In particular, this one is for implying that another poster is a (insert banned word here).

I’m going to experiment with silencing rather than banning for a while. I think if we’re going to view this community as a valuable resource (which it is), then it’s worthwhile to consider how we can temporarily stop users from negatively impacting it while also allowing them to benefit from continued access.

12 Likes

@anon46488499 suspended two weeks following their request for a perma. I hope they change their mind, but will follow-through with a perma if they feel the same way in 14 days.

Churchill silenced for two weeks for trolling the COVID thread.

EDIT: Converted to 2 week temp ban pending perm by request.

1 Like

Jman and Jalfrezi both silenced for a week for personal attacks.

They’ve been warned on this specific topic before I believe. It’s the “ghetto blaster”/"locking up black kids"beef

7 Likes

Perm banned and anonymized Yadi by request after 2 week cooldown.

Jalfrezi silenced for a day for trolling the COVID thread

1 Like

LikeClockwork suspended two weeks by request.

Perma for antivax detector dog.

I dont see this account adding any value. Its primarily a mechanism for a personal attack.

Whether those attacks are valid is a separate question, but the attack should be made from their own account.

I recognize that theres supposed to be different rules for permas. Im taking what I think is a common sense view that gimmicks can be banned at a lower standard.

If there are strong views otherwise, happy to reconsider.

13 Likes