Led Zeppelin Tournament Bracket

Went with the faves apart from The Rover > Thank You, which I always found a little sickly.

Wanton is underrated and unlucky to come up against an all time great.

1 Like

Couldn’t bring myself to choose between Thank You or The Rover, otherwise straight chalk.

Rock and Roll is obviously a great song, but for me is my LZ song that’s been way overplayed and lost almost all appeal. I think those Caddy ads finally killed it off for me. But now is not the time to fade it.

3 Likes

I agree. I’d much rather listen to Groove than RnR whose delights have long been exhausted for me, but which is far more important in the LZ songbook - they opened most of their shows with it - so it gets my nod here.

1 Like

D’yer Mak’er is a fine tune. But it’s so overplayed IMO. I went with Hot Dog maybe just cuz I hear it less and it’s a blues space jam.

No Quarter at 2:30 mark, so good.

2 Likes

And please no one tell Clovis this thread is a thing, god help us if he figures out all of Zepplin’s songs are about 15-year-old girls, hobbits, and 15-year-old-girl hobbits.

5 Likes

Went all faves there. The Rover vs. Thank You was a close one though

@BestOf

My first nomination or whatever. Mods, I accept full responsibility if I goofed. But 15 year old girl hobbits? Cmon, that’s bestof

3 Likes

No kink shaming.

3 Likes

Rover > Thank you easy

The wanton and in the evening are both great and ran into monsters.

You shook me vs lemon song is almost undecidable. I’m probably going to pick the lemon song…er maybe not…ugh…hate to vote against one of these.

1 Like

I did not love physical graffiti when I first got into Zeppelin in HS, but it’s awesome. Houses of the Holy too.

3 Likes

Ten Years Gone pulling it out lets go!
Also give me “You shook me” all day baby, that beginning sequence too good and the riff all the way through, just too good.

1 Like

I HATE having to vote against In the Evening in the first round :frowning:. One of the great intros of all time.

What asshole made these brackets

1 Like

Great lyrics are obviously the best, but LZ proves that nonsense lyrics are better than mundane lyrics.

1 Like

Hot Dog is a fucking novelty song. It’s a Ringo.

In the Evening would be my walk out music

3 Likes

John Paul Jones kicks such ass on the organ and Robert Plant on the harmonica in You Shook Me. They could have so easily been much lazier on composition and orchestration and just done a lot more blues and soloing. Thankfully they weren’t.

1 Like

The 6/11 matchups so far have been absolutely brutal. What Is and What Should Never Be vs In The Evening and The Ocean vs Gallows Pole? Very tough, I looked strongly at Gallows Pole before voting for The Ocean and went ahead and voted for In The Evening against WIAWSNB. Sad that both the very strong 11 seeds are going down.

It’s not gonna get any easier with Nobody’s Fault But Mine and Dancing Days (my personal fave of the 11s) coming up.

1 Like

First three in that batch were super easy, but then it’s Dazed and Confused vs. The Wanton Song and then What is and What Should Never Be vs. In the Evening and my heart has been rendered in two.

1 Like

The problem for Zeppelin is that the Willie Dixon version was just so iconic.