Leaving The US

No, you have minority rule. That’s different.

2 Likes

This seems like apt descriptions to me too.

You wouldn’t be if you lived in the Czech Republic

Gonna be especially bad in 2021 when there will be no government formed at all unless it’s like some 5 party combo.

Probably a longshot, but I’m curious if anyone knows much about Georgia (the country in W. Asia), specifically the capital of Tbilisi?

Apparently it’s super easy to stay awhile. 1 year visa free, and they have a digital nomad visa that is pretty easy to apply for online.

From videos, it looks like a decent slice of the Euro life at an insanely low cost of living. And apparently the locals are very hospitable and English is somewhat widely spoken.

I’m probably gonna attempt to move to somewhere in or close to Europe and so far the options seem like a digital nomad visa to Georgia or Croatia or a retirement/self-employed visa in Spain or Portugal (might be tougher to get approved for though).

Thanks for the post. Yah, I read about the delicious food and wine, and it seems pretty safe and hospitable, but probably gotta stay vigilant with what’s going on geo-politically in case an armed conflict spills over.

According to Expatistan the cost of living is insanely low, and it looks like you actually get a pretty solid infrastructure and taste of the Euro life, so great value for your money compared to other areas of similar cost. The other positive would be ease of the visa and whether or not there are solid non-stop flight options to Europe. Before corona it seemed like yes, but we’ll see what happens next.

Here’s a cool short vid showing the capital, Tbilisi:

Georgia has a strong chess culture, so it also has that going for it.

1 Like

Does Georgia really count as European culture? I always thought of the Caucasus region as its own unique thing.

I don’t think most of Europe would classify Georgia as part of its continent. It is distant from most European countries both politically and economically.

I don’t think anyone would consider Georgia a part of Europe, but their capital city kinda has a Euro feel.

Interestingly, it’s actually listed as the top destination for nomads on BitcoinNomad:

These dumbasses are missing out on so many great spots in the Americas. Yeah I’d rather live in grey Transylvania where the food sucks and saunas and rough massage are high entertainment.

Romania is one of the only Tony Bourdain destinations where I was like - nahh, no big rush to go there. Looks like midwest weather and scenery, with crappy food. The women seem gorgeous though. Or maybe I’m thinking of Hungary.

Then again I guess I’m thrilled that places like Oaxaca, Puebla, San Jose, Costa Rica and Antigua, Guatemala aren’t on their radar.

Victoria, BC always appealed to me. I like smallish cities where everything’s available but the downtown isn’t overcrowded and maybe the rent\mortgage situation isn’t crazy yet? May not be the case there either, wtf do I know.

Lived in FL for 35 years, tired of no seasons and flat terrain too.

You had me until San Jose. Seems like a pretty unremarkable city. Antigua also seemed quite overrated, but then I’m used to Mexico where there are a dozen Antiguas. I guess it’s pretty cool w/the volcanos though.

Puebla OTOH, I thought was really cool. And it’s shocking to me that a city like that exists so close to the USA, yet 99.5% of Americans have no idea what it is.

Victoria is one of the most expensive cities in Canada.

4 Likes

Ireland looks nice if you have €2 million

If cost of living in Georgia is a big plus then Ireland/Western Europe is going to be tough surely?

Romania is a cool spot. Transylvania has incredible mountains and fairytale towns like Sigishoara. Hiking in summer, skiing in winter.

Culturally, the only place with true big city amenities is Bucharest, which is in blah scenery, to be fair.

1 Like

How important is it to speak fluent Spanish? An issue for us is trying to find a place where we can get by on English while we attempt to learn another language.

You can get by on English in basically every major city.

Czech is such a nightmare of a language most expats don’t even try to learn it. Yet here I am speaking English and trying to learn it.

My favorite Victoria BC story:

We were walking downtown and a lady with a kid in a stroller was crossing the street. The kid dropped their stuffy in the middle of the street and the mother didn’t notice. Traffic stopped and multiple people got out of their cars to return it to the mother.

Also, everybody is painfully pleasant in Victoria.

2 Likes