Leaving The US

Just wait unil your country of choice starts admitting Americans as refugees.

I joked about that when Trump got elected.

If he gets a second term, it may be a real possibility. How ironic would it be for Canadians to put Americans in concentration camps and sterilize them against their will?

You and ggoreo can come hide in Newfoundland with me when that happens. Ain’t nobody going to waste their time invading Newfoundland.

Hope you like fried bologna and cod tongues.

What might help me is I have very rich relatives in Positano whom I’ve visited 3 times. So they might be able to grease the wheels.

Oh yeah I’m probably screwed then. My great-grandfather came over on the boat when he was 5 years old. I believe he and his 4 siblings went to live with different friends and family around Port Jefferson, Long Island. So you’d assume he’d have been adopted and naturalized.

Then my great-great grandfather (Clemente - who I share a middle name with), went back to Positano, married an 18-year-old at age 71 and had 4 more kids. The descendants of those kids now own the biggest hotel in Positano and a bunch of restaurants. Crazy story. Supposedly I’m only the second descendant from the states who’s ever come to visit.

That’s ok. I want to be a nomad anyway. No country minds taking you for a few months at a time.

Anyone else watch Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates Jr. on PBS? My favorite new show. Every episode is riveting.

It’s roughly the same for me. My grandfather came over with my great grandparents when he was 8. It seems extraordinarily unlikely that he grew into adulthood, lived through WWII, got married, and had 2 children before becoming a US citizen.

Something tells me having wealthy relatives still in the motherland who can vouch for you is probably helpful

Mexico or Central America look the obvious choices from here.

One big problem right now is that most embassies, even if not entirely closed, are just not taking applications for things. A lot of stuff is fairly easy to get- a temporary resident permit in Mexico, for example. But you can’t get it right now. Can’t apply for the visa that Fossil pointed out earlier in Spain. And if you’re like me and would like to leave now, you will have to return to the USA to do these apps later. I suppose that might change if real bad stuff goes down.

Mexico is easy anyways, you can go for 180 days and there probably won’t be any consequences for overstaying, but nobody knows what the future beings. But if you eventually would like to seek out permanent residency you will have to eventually file for some papers which you have to do in the US.

This was a really stupid post the first time. Thinking it’s worthy of a second attempt is just pathetic.

You’re a bit of a humourless bell end when the joke’s on you sometimes, clovis.

1 Like

Recently found out my grandfather was born in Canada and a Canadian citizen. I have researched if that gives me a path towards citizenship but it’s very confusing. Does anyone know the best place to start with attorneys or people that specialize in this area?

Call me a Nazi (twice) isn’t super funny. Perhaps I’m overly sensitive.

Generally, Canadian law grants citizenship to the first generation born outside Canada. So that would probably be your parents, but likely not you. However it does get pretty complicated with the birth years of you and your parents so you may be able to squeak through if all the stars align.

This tool might help:

https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/56/amicanadiansuisjecanadien/?lang=en&tui=auto

@skydiver8 and I have both gone through the process of claiming Candian citizenship. I didn’t need an attorney and I don’t think she did either. You just have to do a bit of reading to see if you qualify, and then fill out some paperwork. I found everything I needed on the government website without too much effort.

Nope, didn’t need an attorney. The birth year stuff is confusing, but that questionnaire zik posted is pretty detailed. Mine was pretty easy because my mother was born in Canada and had reclaimed her citizenship several years prior, but it looks like it might depend on why your parents were born out of the country, or why your grandparent was outside of Canada, so give it a look just in case.

Eh…

Uruguay has long offered a calm contrast to the deep social divisions and political animosity in its giant neighbouring countries. Uruguay ranks 21st in Transparency International’s “corruption perceptions index”. By contrast, Argentina and Brazil rank 66 and 106, respectively.

The country can also boast legal marijuana, legal abortion, gay marriage and – in contrast to the staunch Catholicism of its neighbours – a society so secularized that Christmas and Easter are referred to as “Family Day” and “Tourism Week”.

5 Likes

Thanks this was helpful. It looks like I’m not a citizen. If my dad would have applied for his citizenship before 2009 i would have been.

Sure. I don’t disagree but I didn’t get the impression he was making such a deep point. He was making a bad Nazi joke which is why I commented. I ignored it the first time but when he did it again I felt like it was worth commenting on.

While I mostly agree with your post it would be difficult to buy anything if we applied this standard to all purchases. I don’t see any reason why an Apple device warrants extra attention. Nearly everything is partly made in China. It’s certainly odd to compare buying an Apple device to buying a car from Hitler era nazi Germany.