Leaving The US

It’d get me into Israel, not that I want to settle there.

1 Like

Did you ever look into your possible claims to Spanish citizenship?

Nope. I probably should, since this stuff takes a long time, but we’re extremely unlikely to go anywhere until both my kids graduate college and that’s at least 4 years.

Not that close with my grandparents and my immediate family is clueless.

Did you find employment there in Montreal yet?

zz’s not an employee.

I won’t be there until January and I’m not looking for work. At present, it’s just scheduled as a long vacation, and I have no concrete plans for any part of my life after March 2021.

Largely because I’m unemployable.

2 Likes

Start now. It took my former colleague nearly 10 years to get Italian citizenship and the bureaucracy there is no different from Spain.

Took me 3 years for my Irish citizenship and it should be noted that it was the US government that was holding us back from getting the necessary paperwork, not the Irish government. Also keep in mind that was when the State Department wasn’t understaffed and incompetent.

If Zizak is anything like me after a few months in Montreal he is drawing live to be on one of those overweight shutin reality shows! That’s how good the food is there. :grinning:

2 Likes

I particularly concur re: passport renewals and/or applications. Start them today if you think there’s any chance you’ll want to leave the county. Applications are pretty seriously backed up, and there’s a good chance you’ll be waiting months before getting anything back.

The processes are so variable that it’s worth thinking first of countries you’re interested in and then checking their residency/citizenship process. The easiest routes usually start either with getting a job or buying property. Here’s one potential option that might work in your situation: Panama Citizenship and Second Residence: A How-to Guide. I’d double-check exactly what qualifies as a “Panamanian business,” but I think it can literally be a Youtube channel or something. Here’s a couple who moved to Panama to build a tiny house/homestead and are living off a Youtube channel/coffee business: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSCRVmBT1YyuAlCA8c9FJRA

ETA: Here’s a great tool for identifying where your occupation is in-demand: The World’s Most In Demand Professions | Michael Page

I’m 4th generation Italian - apparently I can get citizenship?

• Date of births for every relative between you and your Italian-born ancestor (you don’t need to know exact dates but the year is important)
  • Date in which your ancestor naturalized to your country.
1 Like

Anyone know off hand if military brats have any advantage?

Yea, Italy was one of the first places I looked too. I find it a bit confusing. My mother’s great-grandparents were born-in-Italy Italian, so by these rules she would be entitled to Italian citizenship, but I don’t understand whether that can then transfer to me or not.

1 Like

That’s why it takes so damn long for some people apparently. The ridiculous amount of paperwork you have to obtain of your ancestors can take forever. Toss that on top of Italy’s infamous bureaucracy and who knows what it’ll be like.

And that’s if you keep on it. I am third generation Irish and the amount of papers needed completely filled my backpack. Took me 3 years, 9 months of which was spent badgering the US State Department for one lousy document (my grandmother’s expired Irish passport).

Anyway, once you have the proper documents the process isn’t particularly long (for Irish citizenship it took around 6 months once I submitted everything). It’s just the process to get that stuff that can take a long time especially during a pandemic.

Are you currently residing in Ireland? (If you don’t mind me asking)

Czech Republic

It’s as though this guy doesn’t know that absentee ballots exist.

Voter turnout among overseas Americans is super low. Somewhere around 5% vote I think. It’s mostly because politicians in America don’t give a shit about us. I doubt it’ll go up much higher even with Trump in office. The process of registering from abroad is byzantine depending on the state and takes way longer than it should.

Ok, my bad. You’ve mentioned that numerous times. Just trying to feel out the logistics. Very low chance I would/could afford to leave.

@suzzer99 @hokie I’ve looked into Italian citizenship pretty closely and it’s a tough needle to thread so not many qualify. Basically whoever your ancestor was from Italy, they needed to have the children you’re descended from after they left Italy but before they naturalized anywhere else. As soon as somebody gets naturalized they lose Italian citizenship and can’t pass it down to any children born after.

It’s also a lot harder to qualify through a maternal line because lol patriarchy.

It’s not easy especially if you have roots in America.

It’s why I’m so interested in JT’s experience. For me, I didn’t really have any roots. So it was pretty easy to up and leave. For Johnny it’s a hell of a battle.