Leaving on that midnight train for Georgia Runoff

So long as Fulton doesn’t have another water main break.

2 Likes

So less than the 2020 general but way ahead of typical run-offs.

At least it’s a little hope to cling to.

“divided government is good” was one of ikes’s go-to excuses for supporting indefensible Republicans. ofc these people are not ever voting for Dems on the basis of creating a divided government.

3 Likes

Divided government is good. And, also, gridlock is bad.

4 Likes

Divided government is good if your side can’t control the whole thing.

5 Likes

Theyve been doing early voting in GA, right?

Cause, I dunno, maybe this should have been done SOONER THAN THE DAY BEFORE THE ELECTION LP;JSDAPFHJPOEFINHBPPIHEFODNBFH9-4EHFH

4 Likes

I remember getting taught this in elementary school. It’s not even a ridiculous notion if you buy into the idea that both parties have common goals of peace and prosperity for all Americans, but they disagree about how to get there. Anything they can agree on to get through a divided government is probably pretty good!

We know that having shared goals is a farce, however.

Yeah, probably, but that is still the fairy tale that gets told.

1 Like

how much attention does he pay to politics? because things DID work like that (note that the civil rights act wasn’t even filibustered!) but obviously they don’t anymore.

wtf man, the only reason that finally passed was that trump wandered in at the last minute and fucked up the GOP blockade, get out of here with this pollyanna baloney

right. the only real agreement was on continuing to pump xillions of dollars into the imperial military machine

The economy (stonks) did well in the 90’s so people developed this pet theory that gridlock is good.

And again, I never heard any Republicans in the W or Trump years say they’re voting for Dems because they want divided government. Somehow that only applies to Democratic presidents.

5 Likes

Your basic stance seems to be to believe Biden when he promises he will do things that you think are wrong and to disbelieve him when he promises to do things that you think he should do.

If Democrats take the Senate, one reason will be the strength of stimulus checks as an issue. If you view them as self-interested creatures who care most about maintaining power, then it seems logical to think that a third round of checks is something they will intend to do, if only because it enhances future electoral prospects. It is, however, fair to say that some Democrats have no intention of sending out more money than necessary to win re-election.

You can argue that many Democrats don’t actually care about people in need, but I don’t think that they go out of their way to screw people as much as possible. They have a flawed understanding of how society works and what is actually helpful, but I actually think most Democrats are well-meaning.

1 Like

Ok we can all relax

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1346461491692769281?s=21

fyp

5 Likes

Yea, to be clear, it’s not obvious that the economic boom was due to government gridlock, esp given the internet bubble that was going on.

Probably median for a 70-year old. Agreed that many in that age group genuinely don’t understand that politics is very different now.

Would love for somebody to ask one of the “divided government is good, vote for Purdue/Loeffler” idiots how they would have voted in the runoff if Trump won the general election. Make them either admit they’d approve of voting for a Democrat (they wouldn’t) or admit they are pathetic, hypocritical weasels.

7 Likes

“The House of Representatives is controlled by Democrats. That’s divided enough. I’m voting Perdue/Loeffler.”

3 Likes

I have basically no hope at all for these races.

I don’t see any way Stacy Abrams and company can get enough people to the polls to offset racist suburban morons. I guess the only hope is they a) don’t turn out or b) were lying about voting for Biden. As Biden won, b) seems unlikely.

Lots of idiots out there like this guy: